Retired at 27!

105 Replies

@Shelby Pracht Absolutely amazing Shelby!!!! Congrats to you both. I think this is such smart thinking. I am extremely inspired to continue on my path sometimes I feel unmotivated because of lack of resources but your story gets me back on track. I'm 50% to my goal of retiring my fulltime job and becoming a full time mom with an amazing income. Thank you for posting this I hope to reach this goal quickly.

Hi @Matt Owen . We got our primary residence and our duplex both through the MLS here in Mammoth. Both properties we had been following pretty closely (one because it was in pre-foreclosure, and the other because they put a for sale sign up a week or so before they actually listed it) so we knew what they were worth and had offers in the day they were listed. That was a HUGE advantage, as there were definitely multiple offers on each. Multi-family here in Mammoth is great but the entry price is pretty steep. I know a gentleman trying to sell his four-plex that could use a little love and it's still going for 700k. I think there's a fine line between patience in waiting for the right deal to come along, and diving in and learning as you go. I'm sure we could have found a deal that would cash flow even better than what we got, but I'm also glad we decided to jump in and get started. We can always sell and move into a different property if that perfect deal comes along. I'm definitely still learning.

I really love the house-hacking strategy of renting out rooms in your own home. I know that's not for everyone, but we love it. We've met some of the coolest people too. Other investors, entrepreneurs, a guy who is going to be on Shark Tank next season, and even professional swing dancers. It's great "networking" too :)

Good luck finding that first deal!

Awesome story @Shelby Pracht ! Motivated me to really look into house hacking via duplex, although it's a bit harder to find in my area.

What a dream come true guys!!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here