Skip to content
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice

User Stats

Votes
Ken Van Haitsma Jr
  • Investor
  • Dyer, IN
Votes |
Just Got Clear to Close on First Investment Property!

Ken Van Haitsma Jr
  • Investor
  • Dyer, IN
Posted Mar 4 2016, 13:47

Our story begins over 10 years ago when I became interested in the idea of investing in real estate.  Countless hours researching online, several books, tons of podcasts, and plenty of sweat & tears later I finally received clear to close on my first investment property in Northwest Indiana.  BiggerPockets was definitely the final push that got me to this point, so thanks to everyone who helped me here!

Since November I have been searching for my first deal with my (very patient) Realtor. I changed my mind from initially looking at duplexes to eventually settling on single family, changed the area I was looking a couple times, and changes my criteria for properties as I received feedback on BP. I finally found a 3 bed 1 bath REO property in Griffith, IN which met all my criteria so I jumped at the deal and made an offer.

Since then, here is a short list of surprise complications which made me wonder if we would ever get through it: 

-seller (bank) had some initial reserves with me using a loan even though the listing said conventional loans were fine

-seller made me prequalify with their bank even if I wanted to use a lender of my choice 

-struggled for a few weeks trying to get a lost W2 from previous employer for underwriter 

-while in underwriting I needed to supply some new document ever couple days (or so it seemed), go on a conference call with my banks and credit bureau, write nearly 10 letters of explanation, until I was ready for them to ask for the blood of my firstborn 

-after the home was inspected it was vandalized when someone broke a bedroom window 

-bank refused to fix the window and lender wouldn't move forward until it was fixed leaving me to do repairs on a house I didn't own

-lender nearly backed out because I wanted to use money loaned to me for the down payment

-lender rejected first couple insurance providers I supplied until we finally worked something out

So here we are, after all that I'm cleared to close and begin fixing the house up and getting it ready to rent (BRRRR). I'm still optimistic and glad I persevered even when it got a bit stressful, and if I could advise anyone in my position I would say don't let setbacks get you down. If you hang in there you will still get the end result you set out for initially.

And once again, thanks BiggerPockets!

Loading replies...