Closed on house number seven today

9 Replies

We closed on house number seven this morning. It is a nice 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 car attached garage home built in the early 80's. I would say it is in a B+ neighborhood. It is 2 blocks from an elementary school. Purchase price was $137K and it will rent between $1100 and $1200. Not a get rich quick deal, but we should be able to place a nice tenant who will stay there for years. Tenant will pay all utilities and handle lawn/snow. It should run on autopilot once we get someone in there. We got a 30 year conventional and expect $300 per month cash flow. 

We name all our houses by the street they are on, so welcome Holbrook our buy-and-hold portfolio! Now we need to go crazy getting it rent ready to start showing Monday.

@Joe Splitrock

That's awesome.

Congratulations on your new baby.... house is what I ment.

What happens when you buy a new property on the same street? Do you go with Holbrook JR. or Holbrook the Second?

How big of a company are you planning to grow?

Congratulations and keep up the great work.

@John Van Uytven we actually did buy a house on the same street and so we called them Cambridge North and Cambridge South. I don't think we can get three on the same street or our naming will get messed up. Our plan was to get to 10 houses and work to pay them all off. That would give us $10,000 in passive income per month and only ten tenants to deal with. 

@Luc Boiron we have to do some paint touch up and probably four walls. There is matching paint there and the whole house is the same color accept the red walls in the kitchen that are getting covered up with tan. There are cleaning people there right now. It was really dirty more than anything. The previous owners were living out of state and renting it for $800 probably just to cover their mortgage. Other things needing attention included a leaky faucet, bad garbage disposal and we need to remove a whole house humidifier and water softener. Neither works and they are just maintenance issues to have around anyway. This is the listing picture, all the snow is melted to reveal piles of leaves, but no big deal. I love the shade trees even though falling branches can be a pain. I have a good tree guy :

Originally posted by @Alexander Schaaf :

Contratulations on the great purchase @Joe Splitrock! Sounds like a solid investment.

"Big achievements come one small advantage at a time."

-Ben Franklin

Thanks! 

@Courtney Cutrufello and @Dmitriy Fomichenko thanks, this post is a blast from the past! A lot has changed over the last five years. We have grown our house portfolio from 7 to 13 houses. Three of those houses are A class houses built after 2000, so we are working to increase our quality. 

I thought it may be interesting to provide an update on the house featured in this post (house 7). Five years later and the property is now worth $225,000. If I remember correctly, we paid $1000 over asking price on this house. Many on BP would consider that crazy, but a deal is a deal. I always preach that "asking price" is not value. You can pay over asking price and get a deal. Five years later and this $137K house is worth $225K. 

We are on our second tenant in this property and the rent is $1350 per month now. The property has been low maintenance. We had to replace a 40 year old AC unit and a furnace blower motor. When it went vacant last year, we added an egress window to make a 4th bedroom. We also painted the outside and here is what it looks like now:

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you