Skip to content
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice

User Stats

Votes
Julie Haveman
  • Multi-family Investor
  • Allendale, MI
Votes |
Can't do cash for keys, but I can do this.....

Julie Haveman
  • Multi-family Investor
  • Allendale, MI
Posted Jun 10 2016, 08:29
So long story short. We had a tenant call and say that they had a domestic violence situation and she and the kids moved out. She now has a PPO against him. She was the only one working. After calling, texting and knocking on the door to find out his plan with no response we filed 7 day eviction. It just goes against my grain to offer cash for keys when they already owe us money. I figured it would be about 1 month before we could get him out and another $700-$800 for an attorney. I usually do evictions myself, but because this one is in an LLC we need an attorney. I waited until I knew he had the eviction notice in the mail, then I texted him and said if he moved out by this weekend and we didn't go to court, he could avoid having an eviction on his record and we would not chase him for the back rent. He texted me back and said he will be completely moved out by Sunday. That saved us about $1600. He really has no wages to get any ways. I hope this may help someone else. Funny that we only have this problem with tenants that we inherited!

Loading replies...