I hesitate to call this a success story

39 Replies

Not sure I can call it a success until I've had sustained cashflow, but I did close on my first properties yesterday. They are three fourplex buildings, basically identical and side by side. They are located in Kansas City metro (Raytown to be specific).

I lot of excitement and some nervousness (I don't know what I don't know), but I obviously expect it work out or I wouldn't have gone through with it!

There were lots of headaches along the way for several reasons, many because of my inexperience. Commercial or traditional financing, getting it under contract (FSBO), etc, etc. But it worked out and here I am.

Thanks to everyone at BP, and @Joshua Dorkin for starting the site. It has helped me tremendously and I expect it will going forward!

Promotion
RentRedi
Smart Tech For The Smart Landlord
The Smart Way To Manage Your Rentals
Enjoy growing your portfolio without paying more for it. Unlimited units & easy-to-use apps.
Get Unlimited Units

@Joshua D. , it certainly feels like a big bite! I originally only wanted to buy 1-2, both because I didn't know if I could afford 3, and also because of the additional responsibility considering my inexperience. Ultimately the seller wasn't too keen on splitting them up, so I said "screw it, I want them all!" haha Trial by fire I suppose

@Todd Crippen Thanks, I'll try to update along the way. 

@Zach Quick , Yes it's my first deal, and I'd be a liar if I told you there was no anxiety attached to these properties! :) But I did it anyway. 

I'm attaching a pic of my spreadsheet analysis. The "Cashflow" section is skewed because I have property management factored in there. As is now, I should hopefully average around $2100 month ($175/door) over the long term if my analysis holds true. The average month should be higher without CapEx. *EDIT* I should also get about 20-25% CoC return without a manager, which to me is the best part. I don't know any other way to get those types of returns, and that's neglecting equity and hopefully appreciation!

It was also nice at closing because I didn't have to bring the full 20% down. Of course, the earnest money was taken out (5k), but after the prorated rents, taxes, deposits, and seller provided closing cost amount (4300), I only had to bring eighty something to close. Still a huge chunk of money to someone like me, but an easier pill to swallow.

@Zach Quick , Yeah I've wondered if some of it is too low, namely HVAC. But, I have priced most of it out where I can. The good news is that even if the CapX doubles, I should still be ok. Not that I want that, but my margins are wide enough to keep me well above water I think.

@Dustin Beam That is a great way to start. You went big, That is a nice spreadsheet. My first investment property analysis consisted of zero analysis and it turned out find. I bet things will turn out great for you and you will expand in the future. 

Promotion
Invex Capital Group
Real Estate Syndication
Cashflow Your Way to Freedom!
Invex Cap is a Texas based Real Estate Syndication that focuses on cash flowing real estate
Join today!

What kind of air conditioning are you pricing for? and 150 for paint?

I like your spreadsheet. I don't have one at the moment and this gave me some great ideas!!

Thank you so much for sharing this!!

Originally posted by @Dustin Beam :

Not sure I can call it a success until I've had sustained cashflow, but I did close on my first properties yesterday. They are three fourplex buildings, basically identical and side by side. They are located in Kansas City metro (Raytown to be specific).

I lot of excitement and some nervousness (I don't know what I don't know), but I obviously expect it work out or I wouldn't have gone through with it!

There were lots of headaches along the way for several reasons, many because of my inexperience. Commercial or traditional financing, getting it under contract (FSBO), etc, etc. But it worked out and here I am.

Thanks to everyone at BP, and @Joshua Dorkin for starting the site. It has helped me tremendously and I expect it will going forward!

Congratulations on your first purchase Dustin! Raytown is a very solid market for cash flowing rentals. Good luck with them!

@Mary lou L.  It is central air and basically at cost, no labor prices. Same with paint. At this point, I'll be doing almost everything myself. I know that can't last forever though.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you