Primary Residence Refinance Success

2 Replies

So being my primary residence it may not be your traditional success story but being new at this it's pretty exciting to me and all I've got so far.

3 years ago I purchased my primary residence in a fairly distressed condition. It was mostly live-able aside from some plumbing issues causing it to smell of sewer gas (bad smells always make for a great deal) and was very dated. Since purchasing it I have completely remodeled the kitchen, 1.5 baths, all flooring/fixtures, replaced the roof, repainted the exterior and added a nicely appointed rec room to the previously unfinished basement. With the exception of the roof I did all the work myself. I recently met with the bank to do a cash out refinance to invest in a rental property or two. 

The numbers are as follows:

Purchase price: $130,000

Rehab costs: $25,000

Current Appraisal: $217,000

At an 80% LTV I'll be able to cash out $53,600 which will be great start for my buy and hold endeavors. Now I'm looking forward to finding that first rental property, hopefully I'm able to find something in a similar state of distress and can repeat the process.

Promotion
Sharestates
America's Private Lender
Receive Fix and Flip Funding Approval In As Little As 24 Hours!
Sharestates helps developers and brokers secure funding quickly with the most competitive terms.
Get Funded

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you