Another brrr complete!

28 Replies

Hey all, gotta tell you about my surprise today. We bought a house on 7-29-16 for $34k, finished rehabbing on 9-1-16. Paint, flooring, new interior/exterior doors, water heater, moved washer and dryer out of kitchen and into an actual laundry room, gutted kitchen and bath and put all back new. We put $10k in rehabbing for a total of $44k. Got appraisal back today of $80k!! Will rent for $675/month and mortgage payment will only be approximately $273. Our bank only lets you cash out 75%, but I'm good with that, as the house appraised about $10k more than I thought. Had an open house for potential renters and had an amazing response! We decided on a tenant and they are moving in 9-30-16. Very happy how this one worked out and now onto the next one! Good luck to all!

Hi @Mike Creswell

Congrats on the rehab success. It's always very motivating to hear such stories. What's the built area of the house? Would you mind sharing a breakdown of the costs? It seems like you ran a super tight project.

My partners and I spent around $10k on rehab of a rental we bought last year (1600 sqft) where we replaced all carpet with laminate, painted the whole house interiors - walls and cabinetry, replaced kitchen counter top and lot of miscellaneous items. We did not do a gut job like yours. May be we can learn a couple of lessons from your experience.

Thanks,
BK

Hi@Bharani Kacham , the house is only 864 sq ft. We had a budget of $2k for flooring and ended up only spending $1700. We use vinyl plank in kitchen, bath, and laundry and carpet the rest. We budgeted $2500 for new kitchen cabs and counters(laminate), came in at $1800. Spent $1k on bathroom to include new tub, tile to ceiling in tub area, new vanity, medicine cabinet, drywall, lighting. Spent $2k redoing all plumbing including water heater. $600 on paint, $1200 on interior/ exterior doors and trim. The rest was new ceiling fans, lighting fixtures, door knobs, misc items. It was a tight budget, my wife is my partner and she was really on top of the spending lol

Mike,

Congratulations! I am hoping to do my first flip in a similar price range that you did. And amazing use of a 10k budget! How many flips have you done so far? How many sq ft is the home you flipped?

Hi@Shenice B. This house is actually a rental. Our first house we bought was a flip, purchased for $35k, put $66k in rehab(took 6 months, complete gut including exterior) sold for $134k. After that house we wanted to get into rentals because our area has a huge demand for rentals, so that's what we focus on now. We currently have 4 rentals in same neighborhood, which is on a growing end of town and 1 rental in a nearby town. We do all the work ourselves with the exception of Hvac and plumber all while holding down full time jobs. Self manage and plan to stay that way. Always on lookout for a good deal too, and if you find one you gotta act quick or it will be gone, we have a lot of investors in my area so you have to act fast lol. Good luck!

House is 864 sq ft. Most houses in this neighborhood are 864-1008. When done right they appraise $80k+, if you can pick them up around $35-$40k and put $10k in them you could make a nice return on a flip.

Congratulations! Sounds like a great deal. Jen R. beat me to it. Where are the before and after photos? Those are the 2nd best part of something like this.

Hmmm... Not sure what it looks like on the phone, but you should have an 'Image' link down below, just to the left of the 'Post Reply' button. If not, you could also host them somewhere online and then add URL links. However, it would probably be easiest to just do it at a computer, if possible.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here