• Thermopolis, WY
Votes |
A GOOD DAY

Jerry W.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Thermopolis, WY
ModeratorPosted Sep 25 2016, 09:09

Just thought I would share one of my good days to help balance out one of my earlier posts of "Had a Bad Day".  In that post I told how on January 1, 2016 I borrowed a friend's brand new trailer and went and bought 50 squares of shingles that were on sale.  On the way back the ball broke off the trailer and in the resulting crash I lost many of the shingles and totaled the trailer for total damages of about $16,000.  Well two days ago I sold a property that I had only owned for about 2 months.  I originally went to help someone else buy it and they backed out.  They had no problem with me buying the property so I closed on the same deal that was previously made.  I strongly believed it would make a great rental for me, but needed cash and was worried about our local market crashing.  The end result is a net profit of $20,000.  To make things even better I am positive my buyer will also make money after fixing it up,  I did nothing but some clean up and yard work.  I also sold a small piece of farmland I had owned for about 20 years for about a $50K profit.  We have had a bad drought and I simply did not have the time to plant and irrigate it to get back into good condition.  A wonderful young couple bought it and will enjoy it immensely.  Last but not least I also sold off one of my big problem properties.  Someone had tried to join 2 mobile homes together and it was a mess.  It has a nice garage and nice shop.  After 2 people tried to buy it and defaulted, and same with renters, I finally sold it.  The profit was only about $10K but it has paid for itself over the last 15 years so it had no mortgage.  All in all while the start of the year was horrible, I have used the extra money to pay off a small mortgage increasing my cash flow, and I have paid off some big ticket repair items like replacing a sewer line and putting new roofs on 4 properties.  I have great cash reserves for looking for new properties.  Things ebb and flow in this business.  It is good to be able to post good and bad.  Have a great day all.

Loading replies...