How I Said “$#%@ It” & Retired in the Bahamas at 28 Years Old

47 Replies

G'Day Bigger Pockets,

I hope you guys are smashing your goals for this year.

I wanted to inspire you today and share my success story. 

This is one of the proudest moments of my life as a business owner and entrepreneur.

In the daily HUSTLE/BUSTLE, you sometimes just need to slow down a little and enjoy in the things that make you happy.

Here is an article published by the Huff about my Bahamas dream come true investment - How I Said “$#%@ It” & Retired in the Bahamas at 28 Years Old

Also, please read these two poems when you get a spare moment and I hope they change your life just like they changed mine:

Slow Dance

The Story of the Mexican Fisherman

I'm open to questions so feel free to fire away.

Thanks for reading and I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Ok you changed your mind set but I want to know how did you get there professionally and what kind net worth does one need to parachute to the Bahamas - article didn't even touch those details.

@Engelo Rumora I'm so glad you are happy! Thanks for sharing your story. The story of the fisherman is one of my favorites. I know a lot of people want to hustle, especially in real estate. My goal is to do the least amount possible to get the relaxed, simple life with my family and friends that I desire. I'll leave the hustle to others, that doesn't make me happy.

Originally posted by @Andrew Olsen :

Ok you changed your mind set but I want to know how did you get there professionally and what kind net worth does one need to parachute to the Bahamas - article didn't even touch those details.

It's not about net worth but rather about a shift in ones mindset.

Most folks will have more equity in their home than it cost me to buy the land along with building the resort.

I didn't wish to reveal exact figures so that is why the article doesn't touch on it.

Thanks and much success

Originally posted by @Julie Marquez :

@Engelo Rumora I'm so glad you are happy! Thanks for sharing your story. The story of the fisherman is one of my favorites. I know a lot of people want to hustle, especially in real estate. My goal is to do the least amount possible to get the relaxed, simple life with my family and friends that I desire. I'll leave the hustle to others, that doesn't make me happy.

Thanks for your kind words Julie,

I still love the hustle but I now work to live and not live to work :)

You should check out the Bahamas. Amazing place with amazing people.

I wish you much success

I'm trying to follow your lead and example.

Build the wealth and then simplify.

"A simple life is a happy life." If it's good enough for the Dalai Lama, it's good enough for me.

I'm happy to see you cashing in some of the poker chips for a beach and happiness.

@Engelo Rumora Congratulations on taking that crazy leap! Love it.

If you don't happen to know Engelo, he is crazy-- the best kind, the kind that goes out and takes action!

I've heard him speak and it was quite inspiring.
Based on his stories, he deserves some time from Ohio! Haha.

Originally posted by @Brian Lacey :

I'm trying to follow your lead and example.

Build the wealth and then simplify.

"A simple life is a happy life." If it's good enough for the Dalai Lama, it's good enough for me.

I'm happy to see you cashing in some of the poker chips for a beach and happiness.

Thanks Brian,

You would be surprised at how little is needed to do this. I just bought 3 more condo's in the Bahamas for less than many folks spend on a car (Might even get them cheaper now due to Matty the Hurricane). It's not about being wealthy. It's about shacking the BULLS#$% stereotypical view that society brainwashes everyone with. The 40/40/40 rule (work 40 hours for 40 years and retire on 40% of your income).

Mostly people dream of owning a $1m+ mansion. I'd rather be debt free and own 10+ condo's worldwide and travel with only my wallet and passport :)

Thanks and much success

Originally posted by @Mike Dymski :

Many people take a lifetime to learn this and some never do...well done.  Great post and article.

Thanks Mike,

I just fast forwarded the film of life ;)

Most folks would get into a ton of debt and buy a big house. They would spend 20+ years at the same house while making a few babies during that time. Then, they would need to downsize in order to afford the babies (Now grown ups) college.

And hopefully after everything is said and done there would be enough $$$ to buy a condo in Florida and a convertible Corvette or Porsche in their 60s.

Definitely not worth the wait in my opinion.

"I would rather own little and see the world, than own the world and see little of it.”

Thanks mate and much success

@Engelo Rumora you hit the nail on the head...  its all personal preferences.

there are those that horde money we read about them all the time.. die with millions in the bank while living in a rat trap home.

and or never go anywhere or really do anything.. but they are happy... I suppose they are happy.

then you have others that drive 100k cars and those car's are sitting the parking lot of the apartment they rent..

Or buy really nice cloths and Jewelry... take great trips etc etc.

its whatever floats your boat.

for me it was airplanes I bought my first one when I was 25.. 5 planes later and a few million bucks .. could I have done better with real estate NO doubt never made a dime on any plane just spent big money on them.. but you can't take away the satisfaction of the ability to run down to the airport jump in my plane and in 3 hours be 750 miles away from where I live either doing business or some other neat adventure... would other people find the joy in this that I do  ... some yes.. some hell no.. they would think its a total waste of money.

AS for travel we live in the JET age we are all so blessed for less than 1500 dollars you can be anywhere in the world in 20 to 15 hours and in 24 you can fly AROUND  the world.

We love to travel as well... again money spent here where others probably would think its a waste.

but for me .. sitting home on a pile of money and thinking that's relaxing because I don't  have to work .. is soooooo boring as to be not an option to me... I need the thrill of the deal..  I need it every day and continue doing it until I can't do it anymore.. there is no retirement in my vocabulary.

And now as I enter the twilight of my career.. I take great pleasure in working with all the young up and coming Real Estate star's across the country and watching them grow and prosper.. we all do it at the same time... If I can help someone become a millionaire that's my goal.  Whether its my clients down in MS that I funded over 200 buy and holds for .. ( not one dime out of their pocket I provide all the capital) to my fix and flippers that enjoy nice profits on the retail deals they do.. that's what I live for in my business life.

but now I am off to my grand daughters soccer game.. that's cool

Originally posted by @Joseph Caracappa :

Engelo Rumora congrats pal!!!! It really so awesome to see some go out work their @$$ off, and then truly get what they wanted all along! Very inspiring!

To your success bud!!!!

Thanks Joseph,

Keep the dream alive mate. 

"Hard Work" is your best friend so don't forget about him :)

Originally posted by @Joshua Diaz :

Wow that is freaking amazing. Way to go, man!

May you have continued success!

Thanks mate,

Your support is and has been much appreciated.

I admire all of your social media comments and thanks for following the journey.

I'll be in NYC over the next 4-6 weeks so lets catch up for coffee.

Speak soon mate

Originally posted by @Alice K. :

@Engelo Rumora Congratulations on taking that crazy leap! Love it.

If you don't happen to know Engelo, he is crazy-- the best kind, the kind that goes out and takes action!

I've heard him speak and it was quite inspiring.
Based on his stories, he deserves some time from Ohio! Haha.

Thank you so much Alice,

Yes, it's bloody freezing in Ohio :)

I'm happy to say that we have some amazing people on board with Ohio Cashflow so I'm not needed in the daily 16hr grind like the previous 4 years.

Now it's just 12hr days and a 3 day trip to the Bahamas every 4 weeks is allowed hehehe

Speak soon x

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs :

@Engelo Rumora you hit the nail on the head...  its all personal preferences.

there are those that horde money we read about them all the time.. die with millions in the bank while living in a rat trap home.

and or never go anywhere or really do anything.. but they are happy... I suppose they are happy.

then you have others that drive 100k cars and those car's are sitting the parking lot of the apartment they rent..

Or buy really nice cloths and Jewelry... take great trips etc etc.

its whatever floats your boat.

for me it was airplanes I bought my first one when I was 25.. 5 planes later and a few million bucks .. could I have done better with real estate NO doubt never made a dime on any plane just spent big money on them.. but you can't take away the satisfaction of the ability to run down to the airport jump in my plane and in 3 hours be 750 miles away from where I live either doing business or some other neat adventure... would other people find the joy in this that I do  ... some yes.. some hell no.. they would think its a total waste of money.

AS for travel we live in the JET age we are all so blessed for less than 1500 dollars you can be anywhere in the world in 20 to 15 hours and in 24 you can fly AROUND  the world.

We love to travel as well... again money spent here where others probably would think its a waste.

but for me .. sitting home on a pile of money and thinking that's relaxing because I don't  have to work .. is soooooo boring as to be not an option to me... I need the thrill of the deal..  I need it every day and continue doing it until I can't do it anymore.. there is no retirement in my vocabulary.

And now as I enter the twilight of my career.. I take great pleasure in working with all the young up and coming Real Estate star's across the country and watching them grow and prosper.. we all do it at the same time... If I can help someone become a millionaire that's my goal.  Whether its my clients down in MS that I funded over 200 buy and holds for .. ( not one dime out of their pocket I provide all the capital) to my fix and flippers that enjoy nice profits on the retail deals they do.. that's what I live for in my business life.

but now I am off to my grand daughters soccer game.. that's cool

Love it mate and it looks like I'm following in your footsteps :)

Looking at getting my pilots license next year but can't study if my life depended on it so not sure how long it will take me to get it hehe

I love this quote "Its not the years in the life but rather the life in the years".

My goal is to build many amazing memories over the years so I can one day look back and cherish every moment.

I still stand behind saying that what I did doesn't come down to how wealthy you are. 

It's just a mind shift and making a decision to not follow the crowd.

Thanks much

ps. It costs me $99 to get from Detroit to Fort Lauderdale and then $200 to get to Freeport and back. 4 hrs total flying and can leave at 7am and be in the Bahamas around 1pm. Once the Dingo resort is built you need to pick me up in DTL and we can go Bone fishing :)

Engelo,

Great article, really gives hopes and makes one realize anything is possible. I'm going to Nassau next year for a wedding, hoping to check the area out for the first time. Thanks for the encouragement. 

Originally posted by @Alex Cwiakala :

@Engelo Rumora great read! Working to get the parcel next to you! Almost there! 

There are 5 more parcels for sale on the same peninsula.

I'm looking at buying some more hehe

Let me know when you want in and I'll happily show you the ropes.

Just remember, any investing in the Caribbean is all on "island time" so you will just have to relax for 6 months with Pina Coladas until you finally close the deal hehe

Much success

Originally posted by @Andrew E. :

Engelo,

Great article, really gives hopes and makes one realize anything is possible. I'm going to Nassau next year for a wedding, hoping to check the area out for the first time. Thanks for the encouragement. 

Thanks Andrew,

You will love Nassau.

I first fell in love with the Bahamas 4 years ago when I first visited Nassau.

Make sure to snorkel around Eddie Murphie's island and get a scooter to Love Beach and all the way to Jaws Beach.

There is nothing better in life than riding a scooter on West Bay Rd with an unbuttoned shirt and Ray Ban's hehe

You will feel like James Bond :)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here