How I Said “$#%@ It” & Retired in the Bahamas at 28 Years Old

47 Replies

Originally posted by @Engelo Rumora :
Originally posted by @Brian Lacey:

I'm trying to follow your lead and example.

Build the wealth and then simplify.

"A simple life is a happy life." If it's good enough for the Dalai Lama, it's good enough for me.

I'm happy to see you cashing in some of the poker chips for a beach and happiness.

Thanks Brian,

You would be surprised at how little is needed to do this. I just bought 3 more condo's in the Bahamas for less than many folks spend on a car (Might even get them cheaper now due to Matty the Hurricane). It's not about being wealthy. It's about shacking the BULLS#$% stereotypical view that society brainwashes everyone with. The 40/40/40 rule (work 40 hours for 40 years and retire on 40% of your income).

Mostly people dream of owning a $1m+ mansion. I'd rather be debt free and own 10+ condo's worldwide and travel with only my wallet and passport :)

Thanks and much success

You're preaching to the choir brother.

I'm planning on working on my business for the next decade or so and then move out to the western midwest and start a homestead farm with my family. Accumulate the cash and investments now, retire (by my standard), and work the land.

Originally posted by @Brian Lacey :
Originally posted by @Engelo Rumora:
Originally posted by @Brian Lacey:

I'm trying to follow your lead and example.

Build the wealth and then simplify.

"A simple life is a happy life." If it's good enough for the Dalai Lama, it's good enough for me.

I'm happy to see you cashing in some of the poker chips for a beach and happiness.

Thanks Brian,

You would be surprised at how little is needed to do this. I just bought 3 more condo's in the Bahamas for less than many folks spend on a car (Might even get them cheaper now due to Matty the Hurricane). It's not about being wealthy. It's about shacking the BULLS#$% stereotypical view that society brainwashes everyone with. The 40/40/40 rule (work 40 hours for 40 years and retire on 40% of your income).

Mostly people dream of owning a $1m+ mansion. I'd rather be debt free and own 10+ condo's worldwide and travel with only my wallet and passport :)

Thanks and much success

You're preaching to the choir brother.

I'm planning on working on my business for the next decade or so and then move out to the western midwest and start a homestead farm with my family. Accumulate the cash and investments now, retire (by my standard), and work the land.

Awesome stuff mate,

Keep plugging away :)

Originally posted by @Scott Morris :

Misleading to say that you "retired".... you basically bought a vacant, speculative lot in the Bahamas...  

Thanks Scott,

You obviously missed the moral of the article.

I own numerous properties across the Bahamas along with the US.

What does "retired" mean to you?

Thanks again

according to Webster, Retired :"withdrawn from one's position or occupation : having concluded one's working or professional career"

My point is that the article title is very clickbaity and somewhat inaccurate... but maybe it's just me :-) 

I can appreciate someone who steps outside of their comfort zone.  Don't mean to cause an issue.  Best of luck!  

according to Webster, Retired :"withdrawn from one's position or occupation : having concluded one's working or professional career"

My point is that the article title is very clickbaity and somewhat inaccurate... but maybe it's just me :-) 

I can appreciate someone who steps outside of their comfort zone.  Don't mean to cause an issue.  Best of luck!  

No issues here mate but a pretty ****** way IMO to introduce yourself to the Bigger Pockets forum with your first post.

Also, just as an FYI that I don't choose what heading the Huffington post will go with. They make their own headings.

Much success

Have a read of BP, then come back and we will discuss who is more inaccurate.  

Engelo needs no introduction but I'll tell you that in my opinion, he's a down to earth guy who will bend over backwards to help folks out. He helped me when others wouldn't give me the time of day.

Engelo, I'm glad to see you are rewarding yourself for all your hard work! Congrats dude!

Originally posted by @Jordan Sinclair :
Originally posted by @Scott Morris:

Have a read of BP, then come back and we will discuss who is more inaccurate.  

Engelo needs no introduction but I'll tell you that in my opinion, he's a down to earth guy who will bend over backwards to help folks out. He helped me when others wouldn't give me the time of day.

Engelo, I'm glad to see you are rewarding yourself for all your hard work! Congrats dude!

Thanks for your kind words mate,

I really appreciate it :)

Speak soon and keep the dream alive

G'Day Bigger Pockets,

I hope you guys are smashing your goals for this year.

I wanted to inspire you today and share my success story. 

This is one of the proudest moments of my life as a business owner and entrepreneur.

In the daily HUSTLE/BUSTLE, you sometimes just need to slow down a little and enjoy in the things that make you happy.

Here is an article published by the Huff about my Bahamas dream come true investment - How I Said “$#%@ It” & Retired in the Bahamas at 28 Years Old

Also, please read these two poems when you get a spare moment and I hope they change your life just like they changed mine:

Slow Dance

The Story of the Mexican Fisherman

I'm open to questions so feel free to fire away.

Thanks for reading and I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Good for you!

Learning to live below your means is the initial and most important step for investors to learn.  It sounds like moving to the Bahamas has allowed you to do that indefinitely.

G'Day Bigger Pockets,

This is one of the proudest moments of my life as a business owner and entrepreneur.

In the daily HUSTLE/BUSTLE, you sometimes just need to slow down a little and enjoy in the things that make you happy.

Here is an article published by the Huff about my Bahamas dream come true investment - How I Said “$#%@ It” & Retired in the Bahamas at 28 Years Old

Also, please read these two poems when you get a spare moment and I hope they change your life just like they changed mine:

Slow Dance

You look like you're living close to the beach.   The photo looks pretty bare...What area of the Bahamas is this? 

Have you been in any significant hurricanes?

Any concern about global warming/sea rise?

Thanks,

jon.

Originally posted by @Jon S. :

G'Day Bigger Pockets,

Slow Dance

Good for you!

Learning to live below your means is the initial and most important step for investors to learn.  It sounds like moving to the Bahamas has allowed you to do that indefinitely.

Living in the Bahamas is much less expensive than living here in the US. It's a very simple life and far far away from all the hustle bustle that we have to put up with every day here.

G'Day Bigger Pockets,

Slow Dance

You look like you're living close to the beach.   The photo looks pretty bare...What area of the Bahamas is this? 

Thanks,

jon.

Thanks Jon,

We have a 1.6 acre lot with 100ft of waterfront and looking to build 6 bungalows. 

Starting with one in the coming months and will go from there.

The island is called Long Island.

I haven't been in a hurricane yet but am looking forward to surfing the waves before one hits lol

I'll leave global warning concerns up to Leonardo Di Caprio and by the time the sea rises I'll hopefully be looking down on Kevin Coster's great great great great son replicating a scene from the Water World.

Thanks again

Originally posted by @Jon S.:

G'Day Bigger Pockets,

Slow Dance

Thanks,

jon.

Thanks Jon,

We have a 1.6 acre lot with 100ft of waterfront and looking to build 6 bungalows. 

I haven't been in a hurricane yet but am looking forward to surfing the waves before one hits lol

I'll leave global warning concerns up to Leonardo Di Caprio and by the time the sea rises I'll hopefully be looking down on Kevin Coster's great great great great son replicating a scene from the Water World.

Thanks again

If you're looking to develop some of that land into more of a homestead/self-sufficient location, I'd be happy to help how I can with some helpful sites and info that I've learned. Very doable, if you'd want to go that route.

Originally posted by @Brian Lacey :
Originally posted by @Jon S.:

G'Day Bigger Pockets,

Slow Dance

Thanks,

jon.

Thanks Jon,

Thanks again

If you're looking to develop some of that land into more of a homestead/self-sufficient location, I'd be happy to help how I can with some helpful sites and info that I've learned. Very doable, if you'd want to go that route.

All I need is a fishing rod mate and some snorkelling gear hehe

G'Day Bigger Pockets,

Slow Dance

Engelo,

What's the average cost of a 3/2 SFR in that area?

What's the reason you're developing? 

Are you obtaining debt or all cash?

Do you have experience developing or is this your first project?

I'm considering doing something similar in another vacation destination...vacation rentals.

Best,

Jon

G'Day Bigger Pockets,

Slow Dance

Engelo,

What's the average cost of a 3/2 SFR in that area?

What's the reason you're developing? 

Are you obtaining debt or all cash?

Do you have experience developing or is this your first project?

I'm considering doing something similar in another vacation destination...vacation rentals.

Best,

Jon

Thanks Jon,

1. I wouldn't on the 3/2 as its a different world in the Caribbean. There are many other ways to value properties and not just by how many bedrooms and bathrooms.
  2. Developing a resort and on the biggest and most underdeveloped island in the Bahamas sounded like fun.
  3. Cash is King and it is almost impossible to get funding in the Bahamas. Especially for foreigners. Me being an Aussie tho, I'm a little less foreign as both countries are still under the same Queen. God save the queen hehe
  4. No experience at all so it will be interesting for sure.

Where are you looking at buying? Why not just keep all of your funds in the US?

Thanks

Originally posted by @Emily Bo :

@Engelo Rumora

I know it’s been a couple years since this article, congrats btw! We are looking to invest in the Bahamas. How’s it going for you? I know you said you’ve been buying condos. That’s our goal. How are short term rentals there? Thx!

Hi Emily,

Thanks for the mention.

What a beautiful country with beautiful people.

I'm saddened by what happened with hurricane Dorian.

We own 2 condo's and have pretty much allowed people that lost their home to stay in one and will probably not accept any rent on the other for a while as those tenants have also lost a lot in the storm also.

So in essence our properties aren't performing at the moment.

There is a lot of potential in the Bahamas and it truly is paradise.

If it just wasn't for the horrendous hurricanes.

Much success

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here