• Southold, NY
Votes |
Momentum - 4 in 5 Biz Days - Adding to Portfolio

Chris Jackson
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Southold, NY
Posted Oct 25 2016, 05:04

Last week was a busy week.  Closed 4 more SFRs to add to our single family rental portfolio within 5 business days.  Then got word that our final pieces of negotiations on a deal we have in contract, 56 units in Atlanta, were accepted and we are moving forward.

I love real estate.

Momentum is something powerful that I have begun to pay more attention. I am going to try to articulate it but great things just happen the more everything is happening at once. Maybe you are just more primed to say the right things, call the right person, step out of your comfort zone and ask for more on the deal then you would while things are slow.

I've begin to pay attention to my own thoughts when I hit a lull and I have started to retrain my brain to say "Ok, we need to generate momentum, we need to take some big action today and in the coming days"  When I do that a few days later there are high five moments, leads that just all of a sudden come in

A Friday night after an absolute crazy week where you need a break, a lead comes in that you have to analyze and get an LOI in for a vacant 20 unit you know you can BRRRR. (looks like we didnt get this one but doesn't matter I wanted to keeping riding the momentum wave)

Also I need to check-myself with my own sense of overwhelm.  I was definitely feeling the glazed eyes when I was playing with kids and talking with my wife (so bad to do that to your kids and especially your spouse.  Its so disrespectful. My wife works too and when she catches me and says, you were not listening to me were you, that's so horrible to do to the person you love)  Those glazed eyes come from focusing or being distracted by overwhelm.  Overwhelm can come from alot of momentum too. So I woke up really early a few times last week and now this week and just POWERed work.  I just checked items off the list and was able to breath again. Put in a 15 hour sesh a few days last week and then left work at 7 and said to myself "you can not be a total non present jerk to your family and wife" so I just did not think about work when I got home (so hard to do. I am not great at it). 

Forcing myself to dig deep and get through the overwhelm allowed me to keep the momentum.  

I like my sleep and need it to power but there are sometimes where you just have to get up at 4am before the kiddos wake up and just get it all done.

I am going to pay attention to momentum even and improve honing my skills to know when its ending before you have to go to the big dig deep in order to keep it going or revive it.

Anyway this turned into a bit of a rant but I wanted to share my thoughts because I know others out there can feel the overwhelm as well as the lull and you need to manage both. Get yourself out of the lull whatever it takes and then fight to keep the momentum even if it means a string of big power sesh's to keep the momentum going.

When you do that great things happen. I love real estate. I love small business.

Good luck out there. Get your momentum on.

Loading replies...