Completed my first BRRR -- worked like a charm

33 Replies

I purchased a townhouse in December 2015 and completed a BRRR on it yesterday. Well, I didn't actually rehab it, just found a good undervalued property and raised the rental to what is still below market (I didn't want to kill the tenants in the first year).

Numbers looked like this:
Purchased for $71k cash; raised rent to $1,000 from $830 in July 2016; minimal repairs; appraised for $110k; cash out refinance for $82k; payment $515 incl escrow; will raise rent to just below market to $1,150 at renewal.

Atlanta, Marietta, Kennesaw, Georgia

The acronym has FIVE letters (BRRRR). You haven't completed it until the last "R" = Repeat.

Many Lenders only lend 70% of their appraisal (which still would have worked). Congrats... 

@Sonny H.  I am sorry I misunderstood.  I purchased cash and I am now at 4.5% over 30 years.  Payment is now $515.

@Jorge Borjas To be honest, I was buying and searching for a bank.  I talked to many lenders and yes, most said 6 mos seasoning.  I spent some time looking for the best deal and oscillating between conventional and private money (only because private money didn't require the same seasoning).  So yes, the process was a little slower but now that I have the bank, I will apply on Dec 1 for the property I purchased on June 1.

Now cashed out 82k, will you buy another house for that amount and cash out on the 2nd property, lets say the property value is $110k. Which now you have two properties, 2 loans you owe close to $164k  or you use the cash out to pay off the 2nd property so you can get more cash flow? 

Originally posted by @Kalimah Jenkins :

Brent Coombs I left off the last R because I'm one month away from repeating due to seasoning requirement.

That only makes sense to me if they've only lent you $82k "in principle" - but not actually?

Next time, perhaps use the "Delayed Financing Exception", WITHIN six months? 

ie. Just apply for your full cash purchase price back - not extra? Cheers...

@Brent Coombs I am not quite sure what you mean. I didn't ask for more. I refinanced out 82,500 which was 75% LTV. I rolled the closing costs and received $79,800. I'm learning so explain what I could've done differently.

If you "RECEIVED $79,800", what's the hold up for your "Repeat"? Why mention "seasoning"?...

@Brent Coombs Now I'm confused. Perhaps I don't understand "repeat". I thought it meant do it over again. Use that money to buy another. I mentioned seasoning because besides the one I just did, my next property is up to be refinanced in 4 weeks. I have owned it for 5 months. Am I incorrect in that? If so, what does the repeat stand for then?

Brent Coombs Now I'm confused. Perhaps I don't understand "repeat". I thought it meant do it over again. Use that money to buy another. I mentioned seasoning because besides the one I just did, my next property is up to be refinanced in 4 weeks. I have owned it for 5 months. Am I incorrect in that? If so, what does the repeat stand for then?

Do you mean your "next property" was the one you bought with that same $79,800 loan?

That's what I mean by "Repeat", in which case, you could have mentioned it from the outset!

ie. TWO $70k+ properties bought with just ONE $71k of your own cash injection! Cheers...

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here