• Real Estate Investor
  • the villages, FL
Votes |
Different kind of success story. Overcoming fear

Rich Weese#2 Off Topic Contributor
  • Real Estate Investor
  • the villages, FL
Posted Oct 16 2009, 16:01

I've been asked by many about what the difference is that causes success in some, and failure in others. Normally. I think it is something very small.I hope this might remove the veil of uncertainty or fear some BP members have.
There have been many posts on BP about what causes failure. On this thread, it is strictly for success stories. I think the following could actually turn into a success story for many on here.
In over 30 years of investing, I've seen a lot of RE people. Most have been unsuccessful, and not very many have been the opposite. What causes some investors to be able to succeed ? Or, what causes many to not succeed?? That is the better question, imo.
Certainly, it is not just one simple answer. Environment, location, opportunity, knowledge, experience and intelligence are part of it. I'd argue that almost ALL of us have those. So, imo, there must be something else.
As others have pointed out, fear may cause us to be afraid to pull the trigger or to get started.I think many are seminar junkies, because it saves them having to take the leap or change and do something IN RE, rather than just reading and seminaring about it! It avoids reality for them
I've found that most of us are afraid of what we don't understand. That seems to be the #1 reason for fear. We overcome that with many of the items listed in this post, but no need to overdo removing it.
I've told many seminar junkies to just go buy SOMETHING. I almost don't care what it is. In the field learning is unmatchable. It will provide you with much more of a return on investment than anything else.
As a baby, we're afraid of that first step. We take a small step, then walk, and then run. Investing is the same thing. I've identified 4 Obstacles to creating wealth and have mentioned them before.
1.procrastination
2.spending habits
3.inflation
4.taxes

All of these are removeable. The first is mostly due to fear. Get a general understanding of real estate and then select an area to perform in.Specialize in that one area, and make it yours. Immerse yourself in it. Shadow those that are successful in your area of specialty and copy them.
This RE stuff is not brain surgery. Sometimes, we make it harder than it is. There are unbelievable sources on here to help, in every area you might choose. Get over the fear. Learn your area of interest well, and then go do it. Come here for encouragement and move along in your process.
There is no substitute for just doing it. Get busy and take those steps neccessary. Good luck. Rich.

Loading replies...