• Flipper/Rehabber
  • Anthem, AZ
Votes |
First Flip in Phoenix Arizona!

Chris Eley
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Anthem, AZ
Posted Jun 12 2017, 14:42

Hey BP!  I just wanted to share my experience on my first flip in Phoenix, AZ!  When I say this is my first flip, this isn't counting the previous live-in flips that I had previously done (which was fantastic for learning the whole process btw).  Anyway, here are the details -

Purchase Price $62K

Rehab (including holding costs) $43K

List Price $175K

Sale Price $174K

Net Profit (after all commissions, closing costs, etc) $59K

I had found this deal by doing my own direct mail marketing campaign, which took a few months to get the right deal.  I was very picky on this first one because I wanted a "slam dunk" for my first one, with very little risk of losing money.  Unfortunately, I probably passed up a couple of other deals because of this, but am definitely ready to take on more risky flips in the future. 

The house was a pretty standard flip - 1730 sq feet, 3 bed, 1.5 bath.  Needed all the usual cosmetic upgrades - kitchen, bathroom, flooring, paint, etc.  The only downside was that the house was built in the 1950's with an addition built in the 70's.  So this meant spending $ modernizing the place, including filling in a sunken wetbar in the main living room that was straight out of the 70's! 

The rehab took about 5 months from beginning to end, but I definitely was slowed by my "real job".  Probably should've only taken 2-3 months to finish.  I listed the house myself, through a flat list agent, and got a crazy response in the first weekend - 9 offers, with 7 over asking price!  I never imagined to have that good of a response, but apparently sub $200k houses in Central Phx are selling like hotcakes.  After inspection, we ended up renegotiating for the two 20 year-old air conditioning units on the house, which I was okay with.  I figured comps wouldn't come in much higher anyways, which was right on with my asking price (appraised at $175K).  Nailed it!

There were definitely a few things I did wrong which unfortunately cost me $, but I'll mark it up as"educational expenses".  This post is getting pretty long, so maybe I'll save those tips/lessons I learned for another day.   

Lastly, I want to give a huge shout out to the BP community!  For about a year, I lurked on these forums and listened to countless podcasts that really gave me the confidence to start this journey.  Thanks everyone!  Now it's time to find the next deal!

Loading replies...