Skip to content
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice

User Stats

Votes
Austin Hughes
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Lubbock, TX
Votes |
Successfully Helped (Unmotivated) Employee Catch Fire!

Austin Hughes
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Lubbock, TX
Posted Jul 21 2017, 16:55

In my business, I've had some trouble getting the right quality people around me.

There has been a phone caller who sells properties that I have and rents them out as well. Not an agent, just someone who answers calls and talks to people for me full time. I hadn't been monitoring these calls, because I expected him to be rocking and rolling after our training and training wheels period, and continue to build his skills. 

When I started going back over his communications, I found he had regressed backwards in every area of the job. It was devastating to see. Bad organization, no tone influx in his voice (enthusiasm), missing calls, crumbling under mild pressure, didn't care about his personal development, and bottom line--he was letting serious buyers and renters go left and right. It was going south FAST. So, I had to change something. Over the past 2 months, I've implemented the following changes that have turned this guy around 360 to where he is a ROCKSTAR now:

• Base pay was reduced by 40% and commissions were doubled. 
    • Now he was aligned with me. If the results didn't start coming, he wasn't going to be able to pay the bills or anything.
    • When I presented this to him, I said it was the logical "next step" in his progression with our company. The opportunity is MUCH bigger, it just requires results. And I told him I wouldn't put him here if I didn't believe in him, and I was going to do everything in my power to deliver him the most opportunity and hands-on support to make this transition a success. 
    • He woke up to reality. I told him this was the only way for him to have the life he wanted. He had to get his skills up.
  • I was there for him, monitoring a bunch of his calls and giving him instant feedback throughout the day. 
    • I helped him to prepare for multiple specific phone calls before they were made, anticipating the situation.
    • I cheered him on when any small thing was done right.
    • I showed him how devastating lack of skills and preparation were to both of us.
  • I gave him a lot of training material.
    • I made custom material and videos for his situations that he was facing.
    • We brainstormed other ways he could improve and have fun at it (watching American movies for 'lingo')'

Now, he's motivated every day. He has been doing personal development on his own, and he keeps emphasizing to me how much he sees the importance in getting his skills to a better level. He is coming up with ideas of how to sell properties, and I finally feel he is running right alongside me at the pace of the business. After all the time I have invested into my team, it is so rewarding to see someone develop like this!!!

Share with me your success tactics of how you get your employees or team members to work at your standard in harmony!

[Moderator Note:  removed self-promotional graphic from end of post]