• Real Estate Agent
  • Woodstock, GA
Votes |
After Countless Hours Listening/Reading - 1st BRRRR Home Bought

Brian Eilering
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Woodstock, GA
Posted Aug 8 2017, 17:57

I'm posting in RE Success Stories but I really only have the first part done.

Like many others around here, I had a hard time choosing what path of RE investing to go down. I ended up choosing the BRRRR strategy.

My next problem was location.  The area I live in Atlanta is HOT.  There are no 2% deals here in Metro Atlanta.  Hell, you'd be lucky to find a 1% deal.  Most homes rent for less than 1% of purchase price in our market.

As Brandon and Josh constantly say on the podcast, if you drive a couple hours from your home city, you will find a good opportunity.

We then focussed on some surrounding areas only to be less than excited about what we found and the prices remained higher than we were willing to pay.

As I started to slow the search down, we found an emerging market about 3 hours from our house...Augusta, Ga.  This little city is ready to grow.  Job growth is there along with city planning willing and able to accommodate the upcoming expansion.

Like other cities, Augusta has some good and bad areas.  We were lucky enough to find an older home in need of some work listed for $80K in one of the good areas.  We offered $57K and with a counter of $60K, we gladly accepted their terms.

The home, without repairs and before closing, appraised for $75K.  I already have $15K in equity without swinging a hammer!  After repairs, I anticipate the home to appraise in the $120-$140 range.

Here is the kicker, the home actually has a secondary home on the property we call the cottage.  We plan on turning the cottage into an Airbnb hoping to hit a HR during Masters Week in Augusta while having a permanent tenant in the main house.  I should be able to get 2% on the main house allowing the cottage to just be icing on the cake.  There are hospitals, an army base, a university, amongst other things helping support the Airbnb theory.

There is some work to be done on the home.  I know finding contractors can be a task.  Any suggestions on finding contractors would be great!  

I really appreciate the podcast and countless articles/blogs/forums on the site. Without all of the great ideas, I would be nowhere closer to passive income and financial freedom! My wife and are quite excited and just about ready to start shopping for investment home #2 and rounding out the last R in the BRRRR strategy!

Thanks again

Loading replies...