Votes
Jason Chen
  • Tampa, Fl
Votes |
Insane 20 room motel deal

Jason Chen
  • Tampa, Fl
Posted Aug 14 2017, 22:22

I have an interesting success story to share.

A number of years ago, I posted about a 20 room motel in Central Florida that was a bank foreclosure listed for sale for $160,000. I ended up winning the property for $180,000, and there were three other bidders as well.

It was an excellent buy because the location was absolutely prime, and the condition of the property was more than fair (after repairs would've been done). The roof was ok, and most of the rooms still had good beds and appliances.

After a total of about $70,000 worth of remodeling, the motel was fully operational after 6 months of hard work. It only took 3 months before it was partially operational. The property required some plumbing work and drywall fixing for some of the rooms. Fast forward 4.5 years later, and the motel generates $165,000-170,000 on average per year before any expenses, and about $110,000 after expenses. The total cost of everything was $250,000, and I could easily sell it for $400,000 today.

In case anyone was wondering why the motel was listed for such an unusually low price, it was because the bank that listed it for sale actually thought that the property had to be demolished because the entire plumbing system supposedly needed to be replaced. This was actually not true, as it was only a few of the pipes in the bathroom that needed to be replaced for about $1,000 worth of supplies and labor.

THE BANK LITERALLY THREW $175,000 DOWN THE DRAIN BECAUSE OF A SIMPLE INSPECTION MISTAKE ON THEIR PART

Loading replies...