Need some advice with a Contingency Sale

4 Replies

Hi Everyone, my name is Jeff and I live in Bend, OR.  We have a small 2-Bedroom Cottage that is super cute and also in a very desirable neighborhood in the NW side of town.  I'd love any advice/ feedback.  We have a 4 year old and 1 on the way next month (Nov).  We're bursting at the seams in our place.  We found a larger 3 bedroom house that we love and made a contingent offer that was accepted based on the sale of our home.  While we currently have about 10 days left to sell our house, here is the action we've gotten:

Offer at 415K all cash, but buyer ended up buying another house (he was backup offer and front offer fell through, so his was next up)

Offer at 418K, BUT another contingent offer of her selling her house.

I can get financing to buy the other home and keep ours as a rental, but it will deplete most all of our cash.  Our current house would cashflow about $200 to $300/ month.

With winter setting in and with fewer buyers out there (and probably fewer renters), what would you all do?  Let me know if you need more info.

Here are the options, I see:

1) If no reasonable offers, let new home contingency fall through and shop for home in the spring AFTER selling ours

2) Buy new home and keep ours as a long-term rental (will be tight on cash, but could make it work)

3) Drop our current list price to just unload the house (we'd still make money since we bought at the bottom of the market) and buy new house

4) Go forward with buying new house and agree to the contingent offer of 418K mentioned about.  She would rent our house, release 10K of earnest money and would have 4 to 6 months to sell her house and buy ours all while living in it.

Thank you!  -Jeff

since you would not have much saving left after financing the purchase option 4 would seem the best way to go  This assumes that you really want the new home ,nothing comparable and prices would be higher in spring  Option 4 would give you the rental income , cash and so breathing room I would advise an attorney to look over that option for possible pitfalls Good luck

Originally posted by @Steven Picker :

Option 4 would give you the rental income , cash and so breathing room I would advise an attorney to look over that option for possible pitfalls Good luck

Thanks Steven, just a little nervous about doing something like this with a complete stranger and being a noob.  Good call on the lawyer review.

Out of what you have listed, I would go with option 4. 

However, you could also do variation of 2. I don't know your finances on your old home, but It seems like you could cashout refi to get your cash situation back where you are comfortable, and put someone in on a 6 month lease. It may make your cash flow negative in the mean time, but you could sell it later in the summer and, hopefully, get a better price and more offers for it.

Originally posted by @Robert Freeborn :

Out of what you have listed, I would go with option 4. 

Thanks for your input Robert!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here