• Providence, RI
Votes |
“The position of f*** you”

Brandon Ingegneri
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Providence, RI
Posted Oct 12 2017, 00:49
The title of this post may get me into a little bit of hot water, but I ask that any moderator read a little further before drawing conclusions. I hope this term helps to serve as motivation to other investors, and there is a point to it other than blatant vulgarity, I promise! https://youtu.be/rJjKP8vYjpQ Above is a link to an excellent scene in the movie, “The Gambler” where John Goodman’s character describes to Marky Mark what we can summate as financial freedom. A position of f*** you is a status reached when you are in the driver’s seat in life. You owe no one anything, and have created a “fortress of solitude” where you can make decisions without ever giving anyone or anything the ability to leverage you. Your free to do what you want, when you want, so long as you don’t live like a pig, because everyone who has ever seen the movie “Wall Street” knows that all pigs get slaughtered. I saw this movie several years ago, thought the scene was great, but never really thought more about it for a while until someone who was and remains a very big role model in my life, particularly in the RE Investing world really drew my attention back to the scene. Now it is a common term we use that has become a joke, that in reality has become the term to embody us, our positions and outlooks on life, and our investing career. We have achieved self reliance and eliminated dependency. That in turn, has freed us. This post isn’t about one deal, or even my career investing. It is about what everyone here can achieve if you put your head down and shift into 5th gear without looking up until you shatter your goals. That action is what changes lives. Not half measures. I am 32 years old. I’ve been goal oriented and driven my entire life in one form or another. I have come to learn, that diligence, and perseverance in the face of failure and adversity along with remaining vigilant in order to achieve one’s goals are qualities that you either have or you do not. That hunger, fight, drive, and eye of the tiger is either in you or it’s not. In having this mind set, I have always had a list of goals. These goals change over time, they evolve, grow, and sometimes they go away because what is important to me changes, but more often than not, they get crossed off of the list. I can say here without ego that one of my main goals was becoming a millionaire before the age of 30. I don’t mean a paper millionaire before October 2008 based on a balance sheet. I mean a real millionaire. A f*** you millionaire where holdings, and cash determine it because your bank accounts have lots of zeros. Real liquid assets and holdings with substantial equity that are constantly reinvested in order to further grow. The funniest thing is that through my 20’s, I worked so hard to reach that goal. I clawed and dig to get there. I worked 3 jobs to fund deals, and I loved it because I earned it after going through the pain. There was no hard money lender. No angel investor. No secret recipe, or some millennial metric. There was work and grit. When I actually reached my goal, I honestly hadn’t even realized it because at the end of the day, none of it matters. Whether you have 10 million or 10 billion, if you live YOUR life, the numbers don’t matter after a certain point. Live within your means, get to the point where you can do what you want to do when you want to do it. I live in a normal colonial style house in a middle class neighborhood. I drive a Toyota Tundra. Beyond that, it is all gravy. I’m not the guy that has the Ferrari (with payments) that has no cash to fill the tank or get an oil change. The success story isn’t the million before 30. It’s being able to write a check for my son’s school tuition without batting an eye. It’s about being able to go out to dinner and not care if we pound a few martinis because of the bill may be a little higher. Or taking off for 3 weeks on a motorcycle trip and not worrying about it. The success story is freedom to enjoy the simple things, and everyone here can achieve that with the focus and fortitude. What are my current goals? I am working to bring in $1 million dollars a year in passive rental income which is a little under $84,000 a month. I suspect when I reach that (I’m close!!!) I’ll push for an even $100K per month in rental income just to make it a nice neat number. Not really for any other reason to be honest. This goal is for my personal portfolio. My goal following that, is to build my brand in New England. I want to continue to find like minded investors to work with. I want to fund them, build out their buildings, and manage them, scaling the model that have been building outside of my own portfolio the last several years. Creating a reputable business that provides my customers with excellent customer service, efficiency, and open communication is paramount. I want this to continue as the business scales. It needs to be a well oiled machine, but still needs the feel and personal touch of a small business. Tricky, but it’s a goal. The other big goal is to ensure that my loyal employees get their fair share. Full benefits, comprehensive retirement planning, and some holdings of their own. Everyone making money and having a vested interest builds brand loyalty and a sense of pride. Final goal is to teach my son the position of f*** you. This lesson doesn’t come on a silver spoon, or in the form of a participation trophy. It comes from hard work, long hours, sacrifice, and failure. Once you claw out of that, and are self sufficient, you have earned the right to look someone in the eye and say, “F*** You!” Everyone that reads this can do it. Be a lion, not a sheep, and you’ll soon be in the driver’s seat. And if your smart and have stayed humble, it won’t be a Ferrari despite being able to buy 10 of them.

Loading replies...