Lands Available list post tax deed auction investment success!

5 Replies

I never heard of a ," Lands Available list til January 2017. I listened to a 30 min audible also free to read on Kindle, " LOW RISK INVESTING WITH FLORIDA TAX CERTIFICATES" We bought 2 home run properties since from Duval County Florida Tax deed office. We  closed 4446 Lexington ave. A vacant lot bought from Duval Lands Available list. We Paid $7600.00 for it over the counter post auction from the tax deed office  4/5/17 for base tax with no competition., sold it for 65k and closed 12/8/17.

We still walked away with 60k after all the quiet title suit Attorney was working on since April  attorney closing costs. I expected it to cost more. Attorneys are cheaper than realtors...I guess. Not that I wont use a realtor , I am studying for my license right now.

Our first tax deed property.

Unflippingbelievable! No rehab just land in a good spot!

Because we did not hold it atleast a year and 1 day we are paying 28% short term capital gains tax on it. Still 45k profit after taxes for paper work and process. Holding past 1 year 1 day would reduce the tax to 20% for our tax bracket. Holding 2 years we could 1031 to another Real Estate investment and defer the taxes. My CPA is not a fan of deferment because the later taxes can be higher.

Awesome!! Congrats on finding such a great deal! Wishing you continued success!

I live off the lands available list!! I love it too...

@Mark Fries 

Amazing! We need to hook up and share some thoughts Mark Fries

That's awesome, congrats! I'm just getting starting researching the FL Lands Available list from various counties. One question, did you to pay 50% of value due to Homestead? I assume not due to how low your cost was. I'm still confused as to how I know which properties will require that extra assessment money when you're buying from the lands available list. Love to hear any feedback you have. Thanks!

@Scott Studer. If the property is still considered homestead they add half the assessed value to the price to the public. We are about to buy a 3rd one as well. I am retiring early and will pursue this full time. Duval has 30 plus residential zip codes and about 700 properties on Lands Available list. If you p.m. me your email I will send you some helpful information. I will pursue lands available properties from Counties that have online only tax deed sales., as they have fatter lands available lists from having whole world access. The certificate investors out of area let stuff go to Lands available as they know they will get even more interest. The risk being if the property reachs escheatment date, they will lose their investment. My property was a vacant lot but was published as multi 2 to 9 for 36k. If I did not request a statement, I would have never knew it was only $7600.00 .So, you cant go by the description, the price or GOOGLE. In Duval, for every  $2 spent on new construction you get  $1 off demolition liens.  For every  $5 spent on rehab you get $1 off nuisance liens on the abatement program. If you are willing to do the research and jump through the hoops, you can really make a good deal. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here