• Rochester, NY
Votes |
Getting ready for 2018!

Mark Updegraff
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Rochester, NY
Posted Dec 22 2017, 05:56

As we close out the books on 2017 and look back I'm proud of how far we've come.  It was a challenging year, and I enjoyed every minute of it.  Hiring and managing people is a most difficult task and it should be done with as much care as selecting tenants. 

I often look to my father for business advice, as he is still my greatest mentor and his age old wisdom always rings true.  We give him credit as the king of euphemisms, as he never ceases to amaze us with them at just the right opportunity.

For new Hires, "You don't know what you've got until 90 days."  While I'm getting better at judging people and performance ahead of time, after 90 days I always have a different perspective than original expectations.  Sometimes better, and sometimes worse.

"Pigs get fat, Hogs get Slaughtered"  - This is true over and over again, so when you meet a Hog, don't worry, his or her day of reckoning will come.  The real estate field is crawling with hogs, almost at every corner.  Don't be a hog, and you'll come out on top.  Those fellow pigs know what I'm talking about.  It is easy to spot a hog, and when you do, don't invest your time or energy listening to their pathetic BS.

"The grass is always greener on the other side, especially when it is growing through $_hit."  I love this one!  You would be surprised how many sheep buy into this mentality.  If they do, they probably were not the best fit, or did not truly embrace the vision.  Once they leave, never take them back, no matter what situation you're faced with.  They're a parasite that hopped onto another host, don't let them back on.       

I want to give a shout out to Michael Gerber and his book the eMyth.  Though my staff probably still thinks I'm nuts, in 2017 I've implemented a lot of the great advice he gives in regards to hiring and organizational structure and it has paid dividends.  For those of you that have not read the book yet, I encourage you to pick up a copy and let it soak in over the holiday.  I know for me, this next week will be about the only time of the year things are not just totally nuts.  I'm looking forward to spending time with the family, reflecting on last year, and letting my mind accelerate into 2018 in preparation for some serious leaps.  I will most definitely be brushing up on eMyth in between catching up on Uncommon Knowledge!  

So, in conclusion.  For 2018 let's get "Busier than a one legged man in an a $$ kicking contest!"

Happy New Year Y'all!

Mark in Rochester NY

Loading replies...