Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Druther
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Southern Pines, NC
Votes |
2 yrs ago I made 73K on a flip and started my investing career.

Joseph Druther
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Southern Pines, NC
Posted Feb 2 2018, 09:31

Hey everyone. 

Thought I would share a cool story (at least to me :) since its the two year anniversary of closing on my first true flip. Hopefully you newer investors will be able to learn something and get inspired to take action. And hopefully you seasoned investors will learn something too. Don't forget the basics!!

So just a super quick backstory.

My family's background is in construction, and since high school that's what I had been doing. Specifically plumbing and electrical. I have always had the dream of flipping houses, but it took us a few years of hard persistent work and sacrificing in order to realize the dream.

My wife and I got married in 2010 at 19 & 20 and we bought our first house a few months prior to the wedding. I will try to go through some of the archives to find a couple original pictures. We bought the house for $12,000. It was basically burnt to a crisp. Through some personal loans, small savings, some owner financing, and using my motorcycle as collateral through a local bank, we were able to purchase the house and start renovations..... Ok I'm getting side tracked. Another post for another day...

While working at a job that I really disliked, I was able to use my super long commute to crank out RE podcasts left and right. I had a bunch of down time at the plant and would read articles books about RE investing. Long story short, I had enough information to write my own book, but hadn't actually DONE ANYTHING!! I had been preparing the foundation financially and with my education, but it was time to jump!!

I can't remember which BP podcast it was, but basically the guy on there said action=results, and MASSIVE ACTION = MASSIVE RESULTS!!!   

I decided to take action and do what they said on podcast after podcast. I went driving for dollars on a Saturday with my wife and wrote down a bunch of addresses. And then we found "the one"! This house I had to crawl to the front door under the overgrown bushes to see the notices. We drove right past it at first because it was practically swallowed up! We decided to take massive action again and wrote 1 (one) letter! LOL

OK, OK.... enough back story. L.O.O.N.G. story short, we were (finally) able to get in touch with the owner who lived across the country, negotiate a deal that worked really well for her (Even though we offered her 8K less than other investors were offering for her house, we heard what her REAL needs were and met them), keep the house from getting bulldozed in 30 days (it was about to be condemned and bulldozed), and start our investing careers.

Here are the before pictures, I'll post the numbers at the end!

Oh and if you want to see the whole slideshow, you can find the slideshow here -->

!!!---- H E R E -----!!!

P.S. Don't judge the finishes too hard. It was my first flip, we learned a lot since then! 

I think you get the idea. The house was in BAD shape...

We moved the deck, changed the floorpan, moved walls, new floors, bathrooms, kitchen, roof, painting, a bunch of grading work and exterior stuff, new landscaping, exterior trim work, and removed the family of dead raccoons!! Lots of stuff :)

But here are some of the after pictures

Here are the numbers..... 

Purchase Price$36,000
Sale Price$202,500
Sale Closing costs$17,500.16
Title insurance$100
Purchase gross due at Closing$36,925.36
Rehab expenses$74,685.64

Total Profit                   $73,288.84

After that I worked at my JOB for a couple more months. I finally got the gumption to take the "risk" and leave my "good paying job" (For reference, that flip made me about as much as my job did annually. And I barely had the time to do the flip since my job demanded sooooo much time away from home. Yeah, it should've been a no brainer for me lol.) 

Since then It has been a lot of work, but man I love what I'm doing. This year we are shooting for 12 flips and 12 wholesales!  A lot has change in the past two years!!

So what do you guys think? Are you guys taking massive action??

Have a great day!

Loading replies...