Syndication of rental property deals

7 Replies

I'm really interested in syndicating a rental property deal. I'm looking for somebody who has done this successfully, and somebody who was not so successful with it. What did you do right? What did you do wrong? What are some tips you would give to somebody preparing to syndicate a deal for the first time? How did you structure your deal? And any other important information you have about syndication. Are there any books anybody would recommend that can prepare somebody to structure a syndication deal?

i would love to hear also 

@Nathan Platter thanks for the mention.

@Joshua Goston its kind of hard to answer your question without knowing what kind of deal you're looking to put together, as structure differs depending on the deal. That being said, some general tips (that come from some assumptions I've made based off of your original post):

1. When syndicating a deal, you've now turned it in to security. Talk to securities attorney. Best piece of advise given all the legal implications if you do things incorrectly and given your level of understanding of syndication in general.

2. I'm not sure what type of deal you're looking to put together, but by your wording "a rental property deal" I'm guessing it's SFH or small MFH. If that is in fact the case, consider another alternative. The legal consultations, PPM/subscription agreement, etc. will cost you thousands upon thousands of dollars alone, which is why syndication is typically used for larger deals that can support the cost.

3. If I'm wrong and you are putting a larger deal together (commercial MF, self-storage, mobile home parks, retail space, etc.) or you still want to look into syndicating regardless, @KimLisa Taylor may be able to help you out.

@Joshua Goston I recently wrote an article on apartment syndication you can read here: https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/10145/72118-sy...

As for deals that I have done and what I did wrong: 

1. Talked about the deal too early. I sent investors preliminary numbers based on the initial walk through. I would wait until you at least have reviewed all the DD documents, but better yet would be to wait until you have walked 100% of the units. 

2. Didn't have lender financing ready from the start

3. Trusted that all my close investors would invest and invest the dollar amount that I expected. 

4. Did not convey the opportunity properly. On one of my deals everything is projected and a business plan is in place, but one of my investors expects different performance than what is projected. This only means one thing to me - I did not clearly communicate with the investor what the expectation of the property would be. Even though you may give them everything in writing, you should also have a clear conversation, so they understand the details. 

What went right: Everything else

Some tips that I would give: Be prepared. Make sure you are experienced and understand the asset class that you will be purchasing. Have a detailed business plan and conservative analysis of the asset. Also, be very open to your investors about the risks and expectations for the property -  communication up front and throughout the project is critical! Be conservative - under promise and over deliver. It is easy to get optimistic. The broker is telling you how awesome the deal is and you want to get one under your belt, so you convince yourself that the market will keep increasing in value at it's current speed. 

Structure: 70/30 with 8% preferred. 2% asset management and 2% acquisition fee

Books: "It's a whole New Business" Gene Trowbridge

"Principals of Real Estate Syndication" Samuel Freshman

I agree with what @Michael Bishop and @Todd Dexheimer are saying here.

1. If you're looking at putting together a deal that's smaller in scale, a syndication is probably not the right vehicle. Too expensive.

2. If you're looking at bringing any investors into a deal, no matter how small, Talk to a securities attorney.

The questions to ask yourself:

Is there an investment of money? Yes

Is there more than one investor? Yes

Are your investors expecting profits? Yes

Are you doing all the work? Yes

If the answer is "Yes", you are selling a security and should talk to a securities attorney.

I know of one, Jillian Sidoti at crowdfundinglawyers.net. Not sure if she is on Bigger Pockets or not.

@Joshua Goston

As mentioned by others, speaking with an experienced syndication attorney is your best bet. @KimLisa Taylor is a great attorney and should be able to answer your questions about syndication structure and etc. 

Good luck!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.