How I built a portfolio of 35 rentals and $10k+ monthly cash flow

362 Replies

@Anton Ivanov I follow a debt free real estate model because in 2008 when the Sh**t hit the Fan and everybody (including me) that had debt against properties lost everything they had work so hard for; I decided to do real estate the boring way and make sure I am not a glorified property manager for the bank. With only 10 units (compared to your 35 units) and less people to deal with I am able to achieve the same $10K a mth cash flow because I owe no Man for the assets I hold. My approach will never make an HGTV show but I have financial peace & can achieve fabulous net-wealth goals with less properties.  I believe this is why @Jay Hinrichs suggested you start paying them off, because you have done such a wonderful job acquiring them, you now want to completely own them. 

@Anton Ivanov Thanks for sharing and taking time to answer questions.

I also live in SOCAL and invest out of state.  I have challenges with property management.

Could you kindly share your criteria for picking PM, and a system for keeping them accountable?

Personally I feel comfortable with leverage, especially when 1.you can get great terms with VA loan, 2 you're still very young, 3 earning high salary with side income 4.Properties cash flow well

Everyone has different tolerance of risk. It's critical to choose a strategy that works for him.

Very inspiring! I'm just getting started, haven't even bought my first rental yet but in the market.  Trying to figure out WHERE.  I'm in Chicago market and have limited capital, so I can't buy here right now.  

Thanks for sharing your story, which is very inspiring!  Please keep us updated on your progress.  Do you plan on continuing the expansion in the same market, or are you going to branch out to other cities?  

Great story, thank you for sharing. You mentioned you did analysis in the markets out of state and picked Kansas City as opposed to Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte etc... I’d like to know how you analyzed these markets? I’m currently looking for a new market myself and any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks! for sharing this great story.. what a couple words can do for a person chasing a dream.. life can always throw you a curveball but as long we have great minds stand aside investors just starting on a real estate journey makes this the greatest country..

Anton - congrats on your success and thank you for your service to our country. What you’ve accomplished is impressive. I wanted to say that once you own the properties for say 5 years you are likely going to find your returns are not as strong as you think. Doesn’t mean you can’t retire on it just that most people think single family returns are higher than they actually are. Once you figure in repairs and vacancies it brings down the return numbers. Take care and keep kicking ***!
Brad Chandler

Originally posted by @Brad Chandler :

Anton - congrats on your success and thank you for your service to our country. What you’ve accomplished is impressive. I wanted to say that once you own the properties for say 5 years you are likely going to find your returns are not as strong as you think. Doesn’t mean you can’t retire on it just that most people think single family returns are higher than they actually are. Once you figure in repairs and vacancies it brings down the return numbers. Take care and keep kicking ***!
Brad Chandler

Repairs and vacancies shouldn't bring down the numbers assuming they were calculated into the deal during analysis.

Very inspiring post. Thanks for sharing. As a new investor with little knowledge about rehabbing, I’ve been thinking about starting off with a few turn key properties just as a way to take that first big step. It’s nice to see that you started that way and were then able to transition and scale with more multi-family units.

@Anton Ivanov . Great post and very inspiring. I purchased my first investment property last year (SF 3,1) nad is now looking at getting a couple MF this year which I can BRRR. I agree with your analysis methodology and does the same in looking at deals. I am also curious in how you analyze potential areas initially and how you narrow your search given the information you previously shared.

@Olu Sanya . I totally agree with what you have shared and one day hope to own all my investments free and clear.

Thanks everyone for sharing and providing your input. This has been a great read.

@Anton Ivanov

Good story.  This site has a deluge of posts about people who haven't done a deal or have done one.  And there's a decent number of super experienced folks who answer questions.  What it could use more of are people posting who are beyond the "I'm just figuring out how to start" mode, but not at the "I don't have to work" mode.  Basically the 10-50 deal people.  The insights are much appreciated.

Awesome work Anton and thanks for sharing your inspiring story. Thanks for your service! Gotta love those corpman :) USMC myself. Any tools you used to help assist with potential market analysis to invest in? Looking to invest out of state as well.

@Anton Ivanov Great read! Your mentality goes hand in hand from what I learned in the E-myth book

"building a network and a team of professionals to help me (property managers, agents, lenders, mortgage brokers, insurance guys, etc.); and training/teaching them to basically do most of the work for me."

Thank you for your service, and thank you for contributing such an insightful post!

I couldn't agree more with your point on savings. Not enough people think about how much they're actually spending each month until they realize their bank account is at the same point as before. Saving a little bit early on can go a long ways, especially when it comes time to make a down payment.

What attributes do you look for in a property manager/how do you weed out the ones you know won't mesh with your business model?

Wow this is awesome! I especially like what you said at the end, about treating real estate investing as not just passive income but as a business. In my own portfolio I am really focusing on my goal this year on the amount of units that I need to have in order to retire. So to create a plan and have it visible is really important 

Congratulations on your success!! Thank you for this post, and all of your detail and information! I have done my first SFR and have a goal of acquiring 50 doors - reading your post is inspiring, and particularly helpful that you organized it on a timeline. Thanks again!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here