How I built a portfolio of 35 rentals and $10k+ monthly cash flow

362 Replies

Thanks Anton about letting me know about the tax assessor website for various counties.  Perhaps I wasn't too clear about my original question.  How did you get your list for your direct mail campaign?

From the original post: "Decided to do a direct mail campaign to a very select group of multi-family property owners (about 90 total)."

@Dan Albrecht

I drove around the city and the areas I liked and identified several developments of multi-family buildings. I then put together a list of their addresses from Google Maps. So basically it was a manual process.

I wrote a detailed post on Reddit about exactly how I ran this - pm me and I'll send you a link.

Finally got through all seven pages - very inspiring! You mentioned something about your extensive list of questions you use for vetting property managers, mind sharing that list of questions? Thanks! 

What an inspiring ,informational recount. It is much appreciated.

I have invested in SFH but I think you have nudged me closer to the MF. After all, the more the merrier and time is money, so I guess I should get on with it. Best wishes

@Courtney Jones

I don't necessarily think MF are better than SFR in terms of returns, but it does help you scale a little faster and make management more efficient if you have a goal to own 50+ units.

@Anton Ivanov thanks for sharing your story!  As a newbie just starting out, it's tremendously motivating and inspiring.

Would you mind sharing with me...

1) Your questionnaire for PM's? and

2) A link to your Reddit post?  I searched Reddit and couldn't find it...

Your course on turnkey rentals also looks like a great value!  I'll be signing up for it and working my way through the modules.

This was really good to hear and read about. Inspiring!

I'm also located in North County, San Diego and just closed on our first multi-family 6plex complex in Michigan and plan on growing our rental properties to maintain a 10K or more passive income. Could you possibly send me the list of questions you use for vetting property managers, as you sent to Kendrick? We do have a Property Management company for the 6plex, but we also plan on spreading out into Indiana and Georgia and a list of questions would be great.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here