How I built a portfolio of 35 rentals and $10k+ monthly cash flow

362 Replies

This post has been removed.

I found this thread due to Georgia being one of my keywords and have been reading through it for the last couple of days as time allowed. It is a great thread, with tons of good info. I appreciate how you took the time to answer each question.

Congratulations on your current success and I wish you much more in the future!

Congrats on all your success @Anton Ivanov ! It's really inspiring to me as I am just getting off the ground (3 doors so far).  If you have the time (and don't mind sharing), I'd be interested to know what some of your criteria is for property managers. I've been working full time in the corporate world by day and self managing at night. I've been too nervous to try property managers because I usually only hear horror stories and that it would eat into my profit. I'm also living in the same city as the rentals, so it's not as big of a deal for me right now as it would be if I was a remote landlord, but eventually as it grows I will run out of time. Appreciate your story and all the great advice!

Becca 

Hi Anton,

Great reading about your success and I hope it continues! I also live in San Diego and am interested in both SFR and multi family, I’ve explored the option of turnkey a lot and have been also looking at Birmingham. Did you purchase you turnkey through Spartan Invest? Could you recommend any turnkey providers?

Keep up the good work mate!

Cheers,

Ben.

You have done exactly what I want to do.  I currently have two properties and you're right, that's not going to make me financially independent.  How did you come up with the down payment with each property?

Awesome accomplishment!

@Anton Ivanov,

Thank you for sharing your inspirational journey.  I am new, however armed with a 5-10 year plan.  Next year, I plan to share my beginner story and hope its as inspirational as your story.

Shavona M.

@Rebecca Shine

My biggest "criteria" for property managers is that they were referred to me by another investor(s) who used them in the past. Meaning I don't cold-call or cold-search for PM companies - I only get them through referrals.

I also prefer larger and more established companies, as opposed to very small operations or companies who've only been in business a few years.

I think those two can be applied by anybody. The rest of your "criteria" will depend on what you're looking for and what types of properties you need managed. Nowadays I buy only multi-family properties, so I find PMs that specialize in those and have in-house project management and rehab teams.

@Nixon Davis

Sent.

@Benjamin Mann

No, I bought from Decas Group and have been overall pretty satisfied. I've heard good things about Spartan Invest as well, but haven't worked with them directly.

You have to be careful in Birmingham, though - it's a pretty depressed market, especially around the city center. Older homes, lots of bad areas/streets and most tenants will be Section 8. If you start going out to the suburbs, it gets better.

Great article, thanks. How do you go about finding the best property manager? I've had turnover with my place in AZ but if I could just figure this out it would go a long way!

Hey Anton, thanks for sharing your story, this is super inspiring. I am 24 and recently starting working in Real Estate and totally in love with the action. Fortunately working alongside some really smart and experienced individuals that own over 2000 units. Best take away for me from this post is developing that saving mentality, extensive due dilligence, conservative underwritting and simply starting out at some point. 

Great article... wanna ask/ say... get opinion-- I have a rental- duplex now-- profiting 7000k monthly.  I do have a small mortgage-- so 5700$ monthly profit. I could pay that off.. but not gonna.    Remodeled upon purchase 2009.   So not much upkeep... until now. Old home-- starting to really need more work.  Gutters, that kind of work. Not much inside.  Therefore I was going to sell.  But I keep seeing folks that have several rentals-- 5-6-7 or more, that barely profit what I do with ONE.  So.... am I dumb to sell?  Im mean, kinda of a no brainer-- if you have a 'team' as you mention.  I don't.  And didn't need until now--- I cannot manage the place alone anymore. But the managers I've interviewed NEVER get the rent I can.  So kept doing it on my own.  But I do love your 'business model' for sure.  Wish I had more luck with the manager companies.

I just don't want to keep using cash to fix- cover any issues that come up now.   Im getting tired. 

Again, dumb to sell?   

7000k monthly is darn good on ONE property?  I was considering a sell/ 1031-- but I still can't see the profit margin the way I have now? 

Just looking for opinions.  

And BTW, if anyone reading in... the Duplex is on the market now... on MLS. Just to see what happens. DENVER.

Let me know if interested.

Thanks!!!

Susie

Thanks for sharing. I'd be very interested to know your criteria for property management and how you keep PMs accountable.  That's the single biggest impediment I have to investing long distance right now. I realize that might fall under the category of "proprietary." Thanks and best! 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here