Courage Obtained!

8 Replies

I'm new to "wholesaling". Learning everything I can on my own without buying "courses". BiggerPockets Forums have been my "education" and i've learned alot. I know it's all about the numbers. Here's my story. The short version...

I was on my way to town yesterday and saw many homes empty, but one caught my eye. Overgrown yard and pieces of the house hanging off. The house was vacant. I stopped and wrote down the address.

When I returned home, I jumped on the internet and tracked down the owner (which lived out of state). Took about an hour.

After getting up enough nerve (took about 2 hours), I called him. Had my "papers" ready to fill in with answers from the questions I was going to ask.

The first thing he did was lie to me! He said he was a friend of the person I was calling for. Then after I told him why I was calling he snapped at me and asked me if I was a "realtor". Imagine that.

After speaking to him for a few minutes, he began to open up to me and stated that he wanted to wait till the market picked up to sell the property. I told him I understood that.

The assessment I looked at was $69,000 for his 2/2/1. He said he wanted at least $150,000 for it. I informed him of the housing market here locally and he said if he decides to sell it, he'll give me a call.

Even tho I did not get a contract on that property - I now have the courage to continue going forward! Wow was I nervous!

I just want to thank everyone on BiggerPockets for posting the information they do. You rock!

:D

That's fantastic Deb .... sometimes taking action cures all nervousness/ anxiety ... and best of all, it now gives you confidence and a foundation to build upon! Welcome to BP Nation and look forward to hearing more as you keep moving forward!!

Congratulations, Deb! I think it's easy for folks to underestimate just how terrifying a contraption a telephone can be sometimes!
Best of luck in the future!

lol. Thanks Harry. You are so right! Going forward all the way! Have a wonderful day. ~Deb

Originally posted by Harry M.:
Congratulations, Deb! I think it's easy for folks to underestimate just how terrifying a contraption a telephone can be sometimes!
Best of luck in the future!

Welcome and Way To Go Deb!

You're right, much of this is a numbers game. When you get a paranoid nut (probably hiding from bill collectors) like that, make sure you thank them, since that's one more your won't have to talk to in order to get a serious conversation, by the numbers!

Don't be shy, no one will reach the a phone and get you! Good luck....

Deb, fantastic job of taking the first step.

Hopefully others will read your story and develop the needed motivation to just overcome their fear and take that first step.

Keep us posted on each step of your journey.

Pete

Ms Hill; that was creative thinking. Don't stop. " To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity".
- Donald A. Adams
Also, Be direct, usually one can accomplish more that way.
You have something special
Keep reading here and keep learning, your achievements will only be escalting. Your attitude is different. Here is for
your innerthoughts "
Hank Aaron (1934-) American Baseball Player (Retired) My motto was to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was to keep swinging" May the best be with you always - Joseph

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you