• Rental Property Investor
Votes |
Crushing it, with $3000 a door!

Clifford Paul
  • Rental Property Investor
Posted Jun 21 2018, 01:30

Hello Bigger Pockets!

I'm the guy with two first names. ;)

Before I get to how I cash flow $3000 a door. (Actually it's $3000 per single family home) Let me first give you my story.

I have been a long time reader of Bigger Pockets and figured it's time to share my story and maybe motivate some to take that first step.

First I'm the youngest of eight children. My dad was a Marine and after that always had his own business. He taught us to work hard and believe me in our house you worked or didn't eat. I know that sounds terrible but actually I'm a better person today because of it.

Best advice my father every gave me was, son you will never get rich working for someone else. He was right although I didn't really follow his advice. Because I knew I would also join the military. My family has a long history of military service going back to the revolutionary war.

In high school I worked for my father's construction company, the local grocery store and started my own lawn service. All while playing sports, band and other things like FFA and 4H. I was making so much money I quit high school and got married. I did however get my GED which I knew I would need to join the military.

So after I quit high school I read a book from some real estate investor from Florida. Sorry I don't remember the name of the book or the author. But he said there's enough rental property within five miles from you to retire on. That's all I took away from the book. 

When I turned 18 I bought my first rental for $7800 cash. I rented that house for $450 a month and after  five years sold it for $32000. I never put any money into that house but what I paid for it.

At 19 I joined the military and started buying houses at every location I was stationed at. I would buy a house and live in and fix it up. Once in rental shape I would move into my travel trailer until I had enough to buy my next rental. I just keep doing it over and over. 

At 29 I passed the one million net worth mark and married my 3rd wife. To all you young folks divorce is the biggest killer of net worth. Believe me, marry the right person the first time. If they don't understand personal financial and have a plan for the future move on.

After 23 year's in the military I went from private to sergeant major but was diagnosed with cancer. Unfortunately the military medically retired me. I honestly would have stayed 35 year's because I loved being a soldier.

I forgot to mention while in the military I always had a second job. I worked at McDonald's as a assistance manger. Worked for FedEx, did new home warranty repair and was a paramedic.

When the military retired me I had 32 doors spread out across the country. This was in 2007. I sold all my rentals before the crash. No I didn't know the crash was coming. I sold because I didn't know if I was going to survive cancer. I put all that money into a low cost index fund.

Moving forward I have been cancer free since 2010. We currently own 9 doors, 4 that cash flow from 500 to 1000 a month and 5 that cash flow 3000 a month. We are closing on another on the 26. 

Now I know as a long time reader here someone going to say bull hockey you can't cash flow $3000 a month on one door. But I will tell you, you can in the right market with the right rental. All 5 soon to be 6 are new homes. So our capex is really low. 

How did I discover this market well I have a friend who has 15 rentals. They range from D to C+. He was cash flowing pretty good but wanted to increase his rent's. As a recovering addicted and now a drug & alcohol counselor. He started a non-profit that provides counseling and housing. Bingo he rent's rooms not house's to the non-profit client's.

I studied what he was doing and I looked for an opportunity similar to what he's doing without the non-profit aspect. It's true I really have 15 doors soon to be 18. But these are 4 bedroom houses and I only rent 3 bedrooms because they only have 3 baths. 

Anyway that's my life in a nutshell. I hope my story will inspire some new investor's to take that first step and some old pro's to think outside the box. 

Please don't ask where my rentals are or if I need a partner. My bank gives me conventional loans @ 5% down with no PMI so I don't need financial help either. Actually we could pay cash for these homes but as long as interest rates are this low we are going to keep financing.

Loading replies...