Driveway fix options on flip #15 Michigan

5 Replies

Hi all - I have a driveway issue and I under estimated the cost of a new driveway (learning opportunity!!). I've received quotes from $5000-$6000 for a new driveway and $4200 for asphalt. I was thinking about doing a DIY patch job but concerned about the look. The ARV on this home is $90K.

I would really like to avoid $5K!! Any ideas? I could find some guys on CL to demo - save some money that way. 

I haven't ran into this issue before, but if asphalt is the cheapest..go that route. Also consider paying the contractor all cash for a discount 

hello, Wayne is right you won't patch that effectively.  

In any case making a concete driveway could be a DIY project, it is not complex at all. 

Current slab can be removed with hand tools, concrete can be bought by volume or prepared on site. 

Cost effectiveness of the DIY option will depend in the value of of your time and how much sweat you are willing to invest in the project. Not sure about the dimensions, but complete work could take 2 to 4 days depending on the help you get and you may bring down the cost to a half or even less.

good luck!

Carlos

those prices seem crazy high to me.  I had a drive way removed for 400 dollars today.  The new drive and sidewalks will cost me 2800 more.  

Hire an excavation guy to remove the drive, then hire another crew to forma nd poor the drive.  Breaking the job up in phases or line items.  It would take 4-6 hours for a guy with a skid steer and a dump truck or trailer

I think you do better by getting more estimates. That terrible driveway will hold your invested capital hostage. Get some more quotes and go with who'll be the best value and will actually show up. Sell it and move on. Good luck.

Clint

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you