How I added over $750,000 in value in 18 months of ownership

116 Replies

Thank you for the response Henri.  I listen to podcasts and and read tons of real estate related books (commercial multi-family related books).  I was wondering if you had specific resources or books dealing with commercial office type properties or if you learned that from BP as well?  Thanks again, Ryan

@Darius Howell . Thanks . Multi family is still an asset I invest in. I do passively. And it is a great asset. However, you need to always see if it makes sense in your market. It is just extremely hard to find deals in the Triangle area for Multi Family. 

This post has been removed.

Great job bud.  I own a similar commercial building that cost me $1.45 million. I will write a story about my journey and why I was able to improve the rent roll not unlike you did.

Keep investing!

Henri, great story and insight of what it took you to acquire an office building. I am sure the sharing of your experience into a multi-tenant CRE investment will provide positive encouragement for others to do the same.

@Jermaine Beasley . Thanks and great questions. I have been investing for about 18 years. So, went through the 2008 recession, which make things challenging to say the least. As a newbie, my recommendation would be for you to get as much education as you can and make sure to take action. "Tax basis" is definitely something you need to make sure you talk to your tax person about. 

Good Luck.

@Savannah Lewison . Thanks . Yes, definitely the returns with value-add investing can be huge. The key is to really be able to spot, and unlock the hidden value of an asset (or create value).

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here