My First BRRRR! With Pictures!

214 Replies

This post has been removed.

@Cam Jimmy nice job! I also purchased a house for the purpose of renting. At least a portion of it. My city is now allowing home owners to legally split the unit essentially making it a duplex. So I’m going to live in one side and rent the other. I’m adding a second kitchen and adding walls to divide the house. The whole house has been well maintained but has the style of the 70’s. It has some interesting texture and the walls are painted green. Yeah interesting... However, for some reason once you’re inside it looks ok. The original hardwood floors are in good shape, the carpet looks new, the bathrooms are clean. So although your house looks more updated, (From the pictures I thought you were selling) I think I can find a tenant. I’m sure you’ll find a tenant. Again, good job!

Congrats, Cam! Looks like you did a great job on the renovation!

I've closed a few deals that had similar situations where someone passed and the family didn't want to keep the property.

If you're wanting to find your next project with low overhead costs and a little sweat equity, I'd highly recommend checking probate records for your county and giving them a call. A lot of times, the executor's phone number can be found on the probate document.

I wish for you continued success!

Originally posted by @Cam Jimmy :

@Cody Elliott Thanks!, that's a good tip. I dont think Ive ever seen a probate report/record before. What kind of questions would I ask my local office? Do the records show that there is real estate in the estate?

Although probates are public information, procedures on how to look up probates vary from state to state. I'm unsure of how things work in Anchorage, but it wouldn't hurt to ask your local office if there's a way to view the probate documents either in the courthouse or virtually.

TIP: Ask more than one state employee if you can because sometimes state employees won't know the answer or give a wrong answer on how to view probate data.

Probate documents sometimes show if there's real estate in the decedent's inventory but not always. I reach out to executors regardless of whether I know the decedent owned real property or not because I don't want to miss out on deals because I wasn't thorough enough.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here