• Investor
  • Anchorage, AK
Votes |
My First BRRRR! With Pictures!

Cam Jimmy
  • Investor
  • Anchorage, AK
Posted Nov 28 2018, 12:33

I have completed my first BRRRR successfully! It is a 2Br 1 Ba small SFR (Pictures Below). It took me about 4 months to complete this Rehab in from start to finish. I Hired out Most of the Big items : New roof, driveway, furnace, siding, and fence. I performed ALL other work by myself with occasional help from Family members: Complete Electrical Revamp (New wires, Panel, Meter Base, outlets, etc), New Pex plumbing, Shed revamp, Landscaping, Windows, flooring..and basically everything else. I did all of this while working full-time at my day job, and going to this house everyday after work for 2-3 hours and working on Saturdays and Sundays. I have learned so much and I now know that I never want to do most of the work again. I only want to perform the work that I am excellent and efficient at, and that is basically the electrical stuff only LOL. I'm good at everything...just not efficient. I am so glad I was conservative with my numbers at first, because There were a bunch of things that I did not know I would have to fix/replace. But since I was super conservative, it worked out great.

I funded this deal using a HELOC from my parents house, because I made a deal with my father that I would completely renovate his kitchen for free labor on the entire thing, if he would setup the HELOC for me to use. He was so happy with his kitchen that he set up the HELOC with no more questions asked. I completed his kitchen a year ago, and this HELOC had been setup for me to use for over a year now.

I found this deal because I heard an elderly lady passed away down my street, and heard that her relatives (the executor of the estate) were staying there. So I went over to the house and knocked on the door and spoke with them. I asked if they would sell to me and told them my intentions for the house. We really got along great and they decided to sell me the house. This house hadn't had any maintenance on it since the 80's, and was in complete disrepair (the before pics don't do justice). On top of that, the lady that had passed away was a chain smoker, and the place stunk sooo bad.

Here are my numbers:

Purchase and closing costs: $102,000

Rehab and Holding Costs: $53,000

Refinancing costs: $8000

ARV: $230,000

Total Equity in the end: $67,000 +/-

I have not found a renter yet, as it is winter and I just finished 2 days ago :) But even on my low end rent estimate I should cash-flow $100/mo+, and my high end $400/mo. Below are the before and after pictures. I used the same view as the before pictures, I did remove a wall between the kitchen and LR, FYI.

Loading replies...