Late bloomers...who is new to REI and finding success after 50?

2 Replies

I see a lot of talk on here about finding success at 30. That's great! How about late bloomers (like me), let's hear from those who started REI when they were 50 or over and found success. I'd love to hear more from those people.

@Lisa Maturo

May be because I am over 50 :), I do get a lot of "want-to-be" investors approaching me in their '50s and beyond. I have an investor that I am working with (and teaching) who started at 89 years of age.

Most the "late bloomers" as you call them have already had the discipline and the structure of a job and profession and are looking to transition to a different lifestyle. I find that younger investors are more assertive and looking for more immediate results (wholesaling and fix & flips,) while older investors are looking for more long term growth (buy and hold.)

A "late bloomer" who is looking into retirement has purchased 21 houses as rentals in 11 months just this past year (she will be teaching and training with me how she has done it starting in January via FB Live.) Another one has got into new development and because of her corporate-trained organization and planning skills, has raised over $2M for a new development.

I started investing when I was 23 years old, but I have noticed that now property owners do take me more seriously and with respect. 

@Laura Alamery thanks for sharing those examples! I'm starting out pretty late in life with REI so it's nice to get some encouragement from others who have as well.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here