My first Duplex- FHA House Hack Case Study with Tips

237 Replies

Wow! Nice job Jeff. Thank you very much for sharing this journey with us. The information was very educational and helpful. 

@Jeff Brower Wow, congrats! A nice cash flowing house hack for your first deal.

I'd like to do something similar for my first investment.

Great story.  I did a similar process (minus getting a real estate license) with a Triplex.

very inspiring for someone like me. Thanks for sharing all the details, and good luck In your future investments 

@Jeff Brower Thank you for sharing!! I am currently looking to do the same thing, although I am realtor assisted. However, thank you for your reiteration. You give me great confidence to use this type of strategy.

That's great! I can't wait to accomplish this same goal! Congrats!

@Michael Kelley Sorry I don't recall the thread, it was a long time ago. Check out my post on page 5 with my template and 10 tips for writing a letter to owners. It was $50 in materials and 4 hours of time to do it, well worth it.

@Jeff Brower this was fantastic, thank you for writing it! And congrats on your first foray into real estate!!

Congratulations on the duplex. I bought a duplex this fall that I am owner occupied in. I put 20% down it took me 5 years to find this place. It's a ranch side by side with full basement central air and a garage. I'm glad I got this place before I turned 30 years old. It's the 1st time I've ever owned a place.

This post has been removed.

My girlfriend and I are currently looking and have been for about 2 months to do the same thing! Love hearing these types of stories, can't wait to be able to post a success story like this. I've sent hand written mailers to expired and cancelled of the last 8 years to du,tri,and quad-plexes, but taking the county records path might be the option that will find that sweet deal!

@Matthew Porcaro What are the odds of doing an FHA on a duplex and using a lender for the downpayment?

This was awesome i really needed this. I have been trying to wrap my mind around real estate and my first steps, this really helped alot. The simplicity of it.

Well written and Congratulations  on your first property. Thanks for sharing lessons learned. I am interested in learning more about how you found off market properties through your County Auditor. 

Thank you @Jeff Brower !! Very detailed and exactly what I needed to hear...Okay let me go study for my RE license lol

@Megan Hodges You sign a document saying that the down payment is not borrowed funds for FHA (like most home loans), but you are allowed to be 'gifted' the down payment money from family. There is a form that they make you fill out and the bank of the family member has to sign to confirm that the funds came from their account.

@Jeff Brower I'm so happy I opened up this app and read your post. You've successfully done what I've been trying to do for a while now. Thanks for the inspiration.

Very motivational! Thanks for posting in detail!

This post has been removed.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here