Started out with $25k 5 years ago, now I have 90 rentals!

240 Replies

This post has been removed.

Hi @Brandon Schlichter , Can I ask - since most of your rentals are in Southern Ohio (Circleville and Chillicothe)  Just from doing some research on rural Ohio properties( I am from Marysville) I came to the follow conclusions:

1. MANY landlords are tired landlords that mismanage their investment properties.
  2. There are many opportunities for fix and flips or BRRRR due to the homes being older and possibly in the rural markets (southern Ohio) not many people willing to make a rental unit look nicer than a new coat of paint.
  3. The home prices are very affordable 
  4. Rentals and homes are in short supply

Would you agree with this? Do you think it is wise to househack a property in a more rural area?

Yes, i'd agree with what you said. As long as there's demand and the #s work, it's fine. Marysville is no different than where I am, and I wouldn't ever have a issue doing there what I'm doing here, OR househacking.

Heck, every single person that will listen to me under the age of 30 i'm telling them to get into house hacking ASAP. 

@Brandon Schlichter I plan on obtaining a duplex or triple soon. You mentioned your bread and butter has been deals from "bad" landlords. How viable of an option is it to start targeting these owners? Basically, I would be driving for dollars and specifically looking at duplexes and triplexes that look like they could be better managed. Then, it would come down to doing some homework to find the property owners and reaching out to them, in hopes to strike up a good deal. What are your thoughts on that?

Then, you said that you want to keep your portfolio under 20% section 8. You also stated that if you went HAM((hard as a mother****er ftw)(for those wondering) see what I did there? it's all about acronyms today) and obtained a bunch of Section 8 you would make a ton of money. So, why are you limiting it to under 20%? 

The reason i'm worried about going all-in to Section 8 rentals is that during the shutdown I was about 2 weeks from having non-pays on around 17% or so of my portfolio. 

Driving for dollars works, I just try and find ways to talk to landlords one-on-one to see where they're positioned.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here