Left my W-2 job for Full-Time Real Estate 18 months ago today...

234 Replies

Thank you @Julia Kern to share your experience. I am ver glad to find this thread. I am looking for more qualitatively excellent statements, same as yours. Very helpful and interesting. Looking forward to follow your posts. Thank you in advance. Your Real Estate Team / www.properties-away.com from Koh Samui in Thailand :)

@Julie Kern when you left your W2 job did you and your family use your husband's insurance and temporary rely on his income to support your he family? What was those times like? Without a W2, how did it impact you getting loans to acquire properties? I'm in a similar situation as you we're and considering leave my job to go full time in REI. But fear the questions that I asked. Would like to hear your experience and any tips you suggest. Thanks.

This is inspiring and exactly what I needed to hear.  I am a newbie.  I have been a real estate agent, owned by own brokerage and am now wholesaling.  It indeed feels like a job.  It is a lot of work and, for right now, less money than I am making on my full-time job but I know that I have bigger plans than to retire on a 401K and social security.  Thank you for this post.  I needed to start somewhere and your post is helping me to figure out my next steps.  Congratulations.  Thanks again.

Awesome! How is it going so far now that we are mid-year? 

@Vern Elizee Glad it helped - best wishes to you on your journey!

@Terence Lee Sorry for this very delayed response - yes, we use my husband's insurance, and having his W-2 income definitely carries a lot of weight when getting loans.  Those are valid questions, for sure.

@Julie Kern I love your story, thank you for sharing. Your point about evaluating what you’re doing and realigning to your goals is amazing and probably rings true for so many people. Sure you’re successful, but does it reflect what you want? If so, great! Then maybe you can refine your goals to to align to your newfound purpose and desires. If not, you know what you need to get back to. Either way, understanding and evaluating your goals are critical.

I know you said mindset is a lot of what you’re working on with books, podcasts, etc. if you haven’t already i strongly suggest reading The Power of Habit, High Performance Habits, and The 4 Disciplines of Execution. Fantastic books that have helped my mindset immensely.

Best of luck, you’ll absolutely crush your goals! Can’t wait to hear more.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here