• Investor
  • Marietta, GA
Votes |
How cancer and real estate changed my life

Daniel Andrews
  • Investor
  • Marietta, GA
Posted Apr 24 2019, 05:29

My wife and I have been involved with real estate since 2005. We acquired 3 rental properties by the time I was 26 years. We had two amazing kids over the years. Fast forward to 2012 my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer. It was the hardest and most difficult time in my life. My wife Jaime was 34 at the time. She stated treatment and our outlook on life changed. We traveled more and bought a vacation cabin rental in the mountains. We loved it. As a family we spent so much quality time together and made money renting it out on Airbnb and Home away.  For 15 years I worked at a corp job that I loved but consumed 50 plus hours a  week. 

In 2017 my wife lost her battle to cancer, she was 39 years old. Our hearts were broken and grief set in. My son was 12 at the time and my daughter was 8. I new that my kids were the most import part of my life. My corp schedule was not going to work out being a single dad.  So two months after my wife past away I took a leap and left my corp job.  My plan was to focus on spending time with my kids and find a job that works with there schedule. 

My wife and I listen to all the podcast on bigger pockets and my focus was rentals.  I had a steady income off my rentals and wanted to add more. In my free time I started a Pet sitting business and a car rental business to help with my monthly income. 

In 2018 I started looking for a rental or maybe a house to flip. I was thinking I could invest 20+ hours a week on a flip if the right deal came up. Well it did. I bought a house that needed to be rehabbed. Some of my closes friends and family did not like the idea because the house was trashed.  Well six months later I flipped my first house. To say that it was a learning experience was an understatement.  But I made 38k off the flip and started another a few months later. The second flip I completed in 3 months (cut my time in half) and made 58k.  I just bought my third house (off market) a month ago and we are half way done.  Plan on listing in June.

Real estate  has changed my life! I spend quality time with my kids, I work my own schedule and my kids help me with the flips. They know more about flipping houses than most. I love what I do and I know my wife would be proud. I now have six real estate calling me with deals and off market properties. I have silent partners and private money being offered if the right deal comes up.  Bigger pockets has been an amazing resource and played a big part in changing my life. 

Loading replies...