Success from the deal that wasn’t

2 Replies

This is a little different success story than most as I don’t have a nice cashflowing property to share, but I certainly learned and will take it to the next deal.

BACKGROUND

I just purchased my first property in March, a primary residence that I’ll rent out in a year when I move. That got the ball rolling for me and since then I’ve been looking for the next investment. In the past week I decided action was better than inaction and I found what looked to be a solid deal

PROPERTY/DEAL DETAILS

4 bed 2 bath SFH in a growing neighborhood. Currently has a tenant paying just below the 1% rule, with market prices allowing me room to surpass exceed 1%. No rehab required (just some interior rework whenever the tenant eventually moved out and a few clean), property manager was going to stay on with current tenant so I'd avoid the initial fee, and COCROI was currently at 6% which would be over 10% once rent was near market rate.

Got all the info from my agent, answered all questions, and plugged the final numbers into my spreadsheet one more time.

OOPS

I made 2 big mistakes:

1) I had used a property management estimation percentage from a book rather than real examples, and I was off significantly (up to 16% from 11%)

2) my mortgage calculation was based on when I purchased my primary residence months earlier-it was not just an investment property, but it was for a mortgage under $100k...my interest rate was 1% higher, down payment was 25% instead of 20%, and I owed 1 point up front

Both my cash to close and monthly expenses increased, making for an abysmal COCROI. I was overly confident about my finances, sure of my calculations, and also extremely excited about the prospect of my first cash flowing investment property. The OTP was already drafted and I almost told my agent to send it before I realized all this.

Luckily this story ends well for today. I saved that capital to invest in an actual deal, I am now much more prepared to analyze future deals, and I even found a 4plex deal that I hope to offer on tomorrow. Alls well that ends well as they say, so I’ll call that a success story for today

@Patrick Menefee

This is a deal you ended up not doing?

Definitely better to find out up front on paper than to find out later on your balance sheet.

16% property management seems a bit steep. Did you shop that one around a bit?

@Geordy Rostad correct I didn’t end up doing it.

Glad you brought that up on the management as I explained it poorly. The 11 or 16% was meant to capture annual expenses on a monthly basis, assuming 1 year turnover on tenants. 1 time fee + monthly rate / 12, which i think actually came out to 14% now that i think about it again (instead of 9%...forgive my confusion).

Most id seen were 1 month rent for placement plus 8% monthly (comes out to 16.3%), and this one was half month rent for placement plus 10% monthly (comes out to 14.2% monthly).

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here