• Rental Property Investor
  • Garfield, NJ
Votes |
Single income Family buys 11 units in the NYC area in 4 years

Sunny Burns
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Garfield, NJ
Posted Aug 1 2019, 05:20

When I was 21, I stumbled on the BiggerPockets Podcast and it changed my entire trajectory in life.

I consumed countless episodes and book recommendations and started to learn about this hitherto unknown world of Real Estate Investing.

In 2015, 4 years later, My Wife and I bought our first property, a 4-family home in Garfield, NJ.

When we closed, she was on maternity leave with our then 6-month old...

That quadplex gave us the financial freedom for her to quit her teaching job. We were able to live in one of the units for free, while the gross rents, dollar for dollar replaced her teaching salary.

2 years later, we leveraged the appreciation and hard work we put into our Garfield Quadplex to cash-out-refi and buy our 2nd property, a triplex also in the Northern New Jersey area near NYC.

Yesterday, we closed on our 3rd property, a 4-family in Lyndhurst, NJ.

That’s a total of 11 units, $1.75 M in Real Estate, and $150k in gross annual rents.

All acquired in less than 4-years' time on a single income in the NYC area. Not an impossible feat... but definitely not an easy one... it took an iron will and a shared focused dream of true and lasting freedom.

... but none of this could have been possible without the inception of an idea... a stumbling of critical knowledge found from a podcast all those years ago.

Just wanted to share my story, say thank-you to BiggerPockets, and hopefully inspire other families to stay strong and validate that you can do it too!

Loading replies...