Step by Step BRRR 3.0

24 Replies

Greetings fellow BP'ers

Back by popular demand!

I am going to document my next project BRRR 3.0

The house is on the West Side of Jacksonville in 32210. It was in a tree accident. By that I mean a tree fell on the roof and made a hole and was not repaired in a timely fashion. Rain doing what it does, destroyed the interior. The interior had been through a complete demo. Interior studs and some electric remain. The power has been off for over a year and will require some additional work to get it back on. This is the largest project I have done to date.

Updates needed:

Roof

Re-plum supply and drain

Electric - all but electric panel.

Windows

Drywall

Kitchen

AND....We are going to close in the car port and make a master suite.

This project is 75% of a new construction home.

A roof was scheduled to be installed on Thursday before Labor Day Weekend. Tuesday Florida was going to get hit with a Hurricane.  Everything was set, I would have a new roof for the storm.  Perfect, what could go wrong?

WELL...

I got a call on Thursday afternoon, there was ROT on the wood plate that the roof trusses rest on. see pics  They told me they could put the roof over it and we would fail the inspection, what did I want to do?  FIX it, of course, "oh no we don't do that".  The roofer said he might know someone who could help out.  I called one of the contractors I regularly work with and he came out and fixed it on Friday Morning.  The agreement was that they would leave off the remaining deck board and the shingles.  They would come back and complete it on Friday afternoon.  Shame on me, I did not check up on the roofers.  It was not done on Saturday when I went by.  I called everyone from the roofer and no one answered.  Monday was a holiday and Tuesday was supposed to be the storm.  OUCH.

On the upside, they did come out on Tuesday morning and took care of it!  The storm was a non-event and the house was fine.  My nerves on the other hand.   

Closing in the car port is not for the faint of heart. It will drive ARV and rent, a great value add. The house will become a 4_2 with an ensuite.

Side view.  Front door is on the side of the house.  Concrete forms are secured.  Spoke to the plumber and city code does not allow him to put the drain on the existing concrete.  He needs to break it up and pipe in the dirt and concrete over it.

One of my goals for this project is to not to do anything twice.  It is a tall order and with so many contractors coming and going, I am not sure it will be possible.

View from driveway. The pipe hanging down will be the stack vent for the bathroom. I had the roofer secure around it, so I did not have to make a hole in a new roof.

The house has some unusual qualities.  The front patio is covered and quite large.  Part of the patio will become a walk in closet.  The concrete will raise the floor to be the same level as the house.  This bedroom is going to be awesome.

It is a common practice to position garages and carports lower than the rest of the house as a means of flood control.    When it becomes living space it should be raised.

@Lesley Resnick will you have any garage at all after closing in the car port? Or a storage shed out back? I have a property where the car port is converted to a not under air room and no garage now. My PM suggested converting it back as tenants need storage and a garage. Thoughts?

Originally posted by @Tim Bradley :

@Lesley Resnick will you have any garage at all after closing in the car port? Or a storage shed out back? I have a property where the car port is converted to a not under air room and no garage now. My PM suggested converting it back as tenants need storage and a garage. Thoughts?

There will be no garage or storage. The truth is, while nice to have it does not drive rent or ARV. The space must be heated and cooled to really impact ARV. The number of bedrooms and to a lesser degree bathrooms drive the rent. Most of the garages I own have gotten 3-5k in ARV.

The plumber will be breaking up the slab tomorrow to set the plumbing for the bathroom in the new master. We are going to do a 5 x 10 bathroom. The shower will be a 30-inch walk-in made of tile. I will have room for a 36-inch vanity. This is going to be a rocking bedroom and bathroom. This is going to drive my ARV.

Pouring concrete beginning of the week and framing by late next week.  

I need to follow up with the AC guy about the ductwork into the new bedroom.  It is a blockhouse and I need to make sure he can run the ducts through the rafters since the master is technically outside the shell of the house.  

I am finishing up a remodel that is crazy close to what you are doing. 

Put a mini split in that suite and leave the ceiling vaulted. That's what we did. No need for expensive ductwork, and it's a huge win/win.

Originally posted by @Bill Kramer :

I am finishing up a remodel that is crazy close to what you are doing. 

Put a mini split in that suite and leave the ceiling vaulted. That's what we did. No need for expensive ductwork, and it's a huge win/win.

Nice, Sounds like you have the project well in hand.  

I am going to do a flat ceiling.  If I do a vaulted, the city will require an energy study.  Not sure why, but it is code.  I will have the duct work run.  I have never done a mini split, I have heard they work great, but if the tenant is rough, it will not last.

It looks like you developed good relationships with these contractors. Communication with them seems pretty good and they know what your goal is for the property! I want to establish the same thing. Repeat business keeps everyone happy. 

Originally posted by @Jaron Walling :

It looks like you developed good relationships with these contractors. Communication with them seems pretty good and they know what your goal is for the property! I want to establish the same thing. Repeat business keeps everyone happy. 

It is a sad truth, that they are good until they are not.  Meaning, my preferred contractors change regularly.  I spread the work out to make sure I always have a back up.  I am always on the look out for talent.  

Power to the People....

The pole is up and the city has passed the inspection, just need the power company to run the wire to the house.

People ask me what is the strangest thing you have ever found in a house?  

In this case, it is out of the house and it is a pair of Air Jordans.  They seem to be in pretty good condition.  When I arrived they were just sitting there and none of the contractors knew who owned them?

Take out a Personal ad - Anyone else remember those?

Post on CL as lost and found?  Curb alert?

Other suggestions?

Concrete 6 yards

This will be the master closet.  The window is going to be closed in.

Plumbing is set in the concrete.

The drain line being re-piped.  This house in on a slab and the concrete must be broken out.  The pipes are installed in the ground.  This will prevent any issues from the toilet.  Short of a tenant doing something crazy, the plumbing should be good for 50 years.

If the plumbing is old, it is only a matter of time before the drain fails.  As most people will tell you, It makes a mess and tenants are not happy either.  I plan to hold this house, so it makes sense for me to spend the money.  If it were a flip I might reconsider.  Most home owners would value a nice wall color over a re-pipe

A lot has happened this week.  We have walls!  The windows are going in today.  We will be officially under roof.  The building is now secure doors and windows installed  

Side view of the addition 

Front view of addition.  The dumpster is in the way of a straight-on pic.  I waited to long to get the dumpster.  The contractors made a huge mess of the yard.  I had to pay my lawn guy 140 to clean up the mess.  Lessons learned, get the dumpster before they make a mess.

My thousand dollar pole and I do not even own it.  I can reuse the permit for a year but will have to pay for the setup and removal.

That is the money shot right there.  Walk-in closet in the master. 

Master bath 5x10 walk-in shower.  The shower pan is on the left. Dark-colored rubber.

I will take more pictures tomorrow, I was in a hurry had to meet a pest control person at another house.

Looking really good and really expensive! That master is going to add some serious value. 

The construction technique is completely different most homes in Indiana. I'm enjoying the photos. What is the budget for the addition?

Originally posted by @Jaron Walling :

Looking really good and really expensive! That master is going to add some serious value. 

The construction technique is completely different most homes in Indiana. I'm enjoying the photos. What is the budget for the addition?

I am capturing all my costs and will do a post when I have most of them and present them in a somewhat organized fashion.  

If it was not a block home it would not still be standing after the tree landed on it and was rained on for a year.

Windows are in.  We are now under roof.  The building is secure.  Front window.

Master bathroom Window.  The white pipe is the toilet stack.

Side View of house 

Rear of house

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here