Skip to content
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice

User Stats

Votes
Michael Ealy
  • Developer
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
What's Better than BRRR - When the City Takes Notice?

Michael Ealy
  • Developer
  • Cincinnati, OH
Posted Dec 6 2019, 14:32

BRRR is very popular here on BP.

I've done BRRR even before it's called BRRR.

In fact, I've done BRRR not just with houses but with APARTMENT BUILDINGS.

In my opinion, the risks are lower and the rewards are BIGGER when you BRRR apartment buildings vs. single family homes. Why?

1) When you BRRR a single family home - it has NEGATIVE cashflow while you're renovating it (it's not producing income because it's not rented)

When I BRRR apartment buildings nowadays - it cashflows on Day 1. I renovate the units as they turnover and then increase the rents to market.

2) BRRR'ing single family homes is not as forgiving with repair overruns and delays.

Because an apartment building that I am doing value-adds in (Buy-Renovate) generates income, the income offsets any repair overruns or overbudget. You go overbudget your repairs take longer with BRRRing houses and you can go in the RED!

3) BRRR'ing single family home has a 1X multiplier - you have 1 unit and you profit from the increase in value of that one unit.

With apartment buildings, when I do a value-add, the increased income is increased EXPONENTIALLY. For example, when I increase a 100-unit building's rent by $100 per unit (per month), at a 6% cap, I increase the value of that building by $2 MILLION

Depending on the house value, it will take at least 20 BRRRs with houses to get a $2 MILLION increase in equity. It only takes 1 or a few apartment deals to make the same amount of money.

And lastly...

4) When you BRRR an apartment building, you can improve an entire community. This is what I've done in the past 20 years and last year, the mayor of Cincinnati, Ohio gave me a plaque and he designated December 14, 2018 as "Michael Ealy Day"

Here's the picture of that plaque:

So...let's improve entire communities and make MILLIONS at the same time.

Maybe even your city will designate a day after you too :)

Loading replies...