• Investor
  • Sevierville, TN
Votes |
253 Units At 24 & Going Full Time

Abraham Anderson
  • Investor
  • Sevierville, TN
Posted Dec 20 2019, 17:27

This week, in a 24 hour period, I've purchased more units than I have in the last 24 years. A total of 142 units from 2 properties, in addition to the 111 I already own. I've been involved in real estate since I was 18, so this did not happen overnight. I post this thread to inspire others that it is indeed possible, and to be as helpful as I can by answering questions.

Both of the deals I've closed this week were off market mobile home parks, and seller financed with attractive terms. One property is a 30 year, fully amortized loan at 4% interest. The other was purchased for $5.5K down. Both are non recourse. The total purchase price for both properties was $2.3MM. Seller financing is a great way to get into properties with little or no money down.

For both properties, it took several months & many visits before getting under contract. During this time, there's also been several deals that did not pan out. The key is to keep your pipeline full of deals you are analyzing, offers you are making, and continuing to look for new properties. As Sam Zell put it, "All the opportunity in the world means nothing if you don't pull the trigger".

Another big part of my strategy is essentially the BRRRR method applied to commercial property. The down payment on one of the deals ($150K), I came up with by refinancing a property I purchased earlier this year with a business partner (we are both equal in terms of management & money put into the deal). We were able to increase the value from $550K to $800K through a combination of filling vacant units, raising rents, decreasing the expenses, & implementing professional management. One great tip is using move in fees vs deposits; move in fees go into your operating account & boost your bottom line, vs a deposit which sits in escrow until it's refunded.

For the past two years, I have been focusing about 50/50 between real estate investing and my other profession as a health/life insurance broker. As of January, I'm going full time into real estate & will do insurance part time. My partner & are also starting a podcast focused on creative real estate, and launching a mobile home park syndication.

I usually take a photo with the sellers, but in this case, one was a remote closing, and the other was recently discharged from the hospital & did not want me to share his photo, so here are 2 photos from the properties (my manager took these today):

I love real estate, and I love the relationships I've built along the way. I look forward to many more years to come.

Loading replies...