James Wise turns down $500,000 TV deal.

16 Replies

A couple years ago we turned down a deal to do a TV show with the producers of the show Ice Road Truckers on the History Channel. That was a tough decision because the typical pay for a deal like this is $500,000.

At 1st glance this sounds like a ton of money but that's over the course of 10 years, if the show hits. This also includes you signing over exclusive rights to your media content & likeness to the production company & TV network. What that means is if they want to shelve you, there isn't a damn thing you can do for the rest of the decade. In addition, the majority of that $500k comes on the backend of that deal, if and only if the show hits. 

So with all of that in mind we made the choice to turn it down and continue on our own with our own TV brand. We have complete control of our brand, likeness & media content. Last night marks the 1st time one of our videos broke 1 Million views...As I write this it's at 1,000,259 views. 

- We own 100% of the media content.

- We make 100% of the decisions.

- We sell 100% of the sponsorships

- We retain 100% of the media revenue.

- We retain 100% of the merchandise (shirts, hoodies...etc) revenue.

- We are 100% satisfied with our choice.

Just goes to show you guys that taking the money isn't always the right choice. If you truly believe in what you are doing sometimes it's best to stick to your guns and ride things out.

Originally posted by @James Wise :

A couple years ago we turned down a deal to do a TV show with the producers of the show Ice Road Truckers on the History Channel. That was a tough decision because the typical pay for a deal like this is $500,000.

At 1st glance this sounds like a ton of money but that's over the course of 10 years, if the show hits. This also includes you signing over exclusive rights to your media content & likeness to the production company & TV network. What that means is if they want to shelve you, there isn't a damn thing you can do for the rest of the decade. In addition, the majority of that $500k comes on the backend of that deal, if and only if the show hits. 

So with all of that in mind we made the choice to turn it down and continue on our own with our own TV brand. We have complete control of our brand, likeness & media content. Last night marks the 1st time one of our videos broke 1 Million views...As I write this it's at 1,000,259 views. 

Just goes to show you guys that taking the money isn't always the right choice. If you truly believe in what you are doing sometimes it's best to stick to your guns and ride things out.

Maybe try coming back with a counter-offer of 10 million grossed up after taxes (as in a check for 10 million cash after tax).

And if you do this and get over 2 million from them contractually--pop me $100k out of the profit for the idea<--(seriously)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiMIlxGQsC8

Originally posted by @Scott Mac :
Originally posted by @James Wise:

Maybe try coming back with a counter-offer of 10 million grossed up after taxes (as in a check for 10 million cash after tax).

And if you do this and get over 2 million from them contractually--pop me $100k out of the profit for the idea<--(seriously)

Na, got into real estate to forge my own path. Don't want a TV Network telling me what I can and can't do.

P.S.

What's with the link to the strongmen? lol. Not following you.

for many of them as you know the real money is when some Utah based fulfillment company makes them a HOW to Guru and they go on the real estate training path.. that's were the big money is and I mean big.. 

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs :

for many of them as you know the real money is when some Utah based fulfillment company makes them a HOW to Guru and they go on the real estate training path.. that's were the big money is and I mean big.. 

Yea I hear that. I think Armando Montelongo has taken down $150 million or so. Granted he's been involved in a lot of major lawsuits but hey, I guess if you're bringing in $150 Million a big old lawsuit here and there wouldn't be a bad spot to be in lol.

Meet Armando Montelongo: The Home-Flipping Huckster Who'll Make $50M This Year

https://www.forbes.com/sites/abrambrown/2013/06/26/meet-armando-montelongo-the-home-flipping-huckster-wholl-make-50m-this-year/#8a1564467019

_

Judge tosses lawsuit brought by 355 students against house-flipper Montelongo

https://www.mysanantonio.com/business/local/article/Judge-tosses-lawsuit-brought-by-355-students-13008515.php

_

Armando Montelongo Lawsuit Plaintiff Count Rises above 420 & Re-files in Texas Court

http://www.jeannorton.com/armando-montelongo-lawsuit-in-texas-courts/

YUP.. Armando lives on the ocean front in Newport Beach.. or somewhere like that.. just the cost of doing business

To  be fair and balanced like fox news.. I did a ton of business with Armando students over the years.. funding their purchases in Indy  Vegas and Orlando many of them who followed his advice coming out of the GFC have over doubled their money on appreciation..  the high priced training as we know most wash out but there are many success stories as well just never hear about those.  Same thing your doing now for your folks that advertise on your station.  Of course the buyers coming to your station are not paying for advanced training its just a marketing method.. 

Regulators are coming down hard on the Utah based fulfillment companies right now including the FCC and the state attorney generals..  Zurrix  and Nudge to name a few.. I have been to these companies offices in Utah.. these are big operations 300 to 600 employees.. and they rep more than just real estate guys.. they run the shows for Tony Robbins and other motivational speakers etc.  

Be interesting to see where the how to high priced real estate training companies end up in the next few years and high priced is relative .. 20 to 50k for training to some is probably astronomical to others its cheap its a matter of perspective.

you now have the how to MF trainers and pert near every niche in real estate has a how to trainer.. be it wholesaling.. or like Tom Ferry for agents or Floyd Wickman ( my wife was a trainer for Floyd back in the day) you have the land geeks. the how to wholesale .. the astro flippers the tax overages , how to buy notes  (Eddie Speed) and many others in this industry. 

Its a natural progression for many and many just move from training one subject to another. There will always be folks in the US and world that are willing to pay for what they perceive is a fast track to real estate richs' or  the idea that buying a few rentals and you can retire.. Ala your great friend Clayton Morris. 

Originally posted by @Scott Mac:

Na, got into real estate to forge my own path. Don't want a TV Network telling me what I can and can't do.

P.S.

What's with the link to the strongmen? lol. Not following you.

History channel -- 4 guys (I believe they made  more than 500k each for almost 1 years effort and traveling).

$500k is a lot to some people and not so much for others. It's Time away from your regular work to "WORK" for them.

Producers are going to part with as little as possible to "HIRE" someone "They can make money on". They need a product to showcase, and want to pay as little as possible for it.

Plus, I don't know if you could pick up 250 pounds of iron rods in each hand--but I sure couldn't.

YUP.. Armando lives on the ocean front in Newport Beach.. or somewhere like that.. just the cost of doing business

To  be fair and balanced like fox news.. I did a ton of business with Armando students over the years.. funding their purchases in Indy  Vegas and Orlando many of them who followed his advice coming out of the GFC have over doubled their money on appreciation..  the high priced training as we know most wash out but there are many success stories as well just never hear about those.  Same thing your doing now for your folks that advertise on your station.  Of course the buyers coming to your station are not paying for advanced training its just a marketing method.. 

Regulators are coming down hard on the Utah based fulfillment companies right now including the FCC and the state attorney generals..  Zurrix  and Nudge to name a few.. I have been to these companies offices in Utah.. these are big operations 300 to 600 employees.. and they rep more than just real estate guys.. they run the shows for Tony Robbins and other motivational speakers etc.  

Be interesting to see where the how to high priced real estate training companies end up in the next few years and high priced is relative .. 20 to 50k for training to some is probably astronomical to others its cheap its a matter of perspective.

you now have the how to MF trainers and pert near every niche in real estate has a how to trainer.. be it wholesaling.. or like Tom Ferry for agents or Floyd Wickman ( my wife was a trainer for Floyd back in the day) you have the land geeks. the how to wholesale .. the astro flippers the tax overages , how to buy notes  (Eddie Speed) and many others in this industry. 

Its a natural progression for many and many just move from training one subject to another. There will always be folks in the US and world that are willing to pay for what they perceive is a fast track to real estate richs' or  the idea that buying a few rentals and you can retire.. Ala your great friend Clayton Morris. 

Did somebody say Clayton Morris?

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

You mean your newest bestest friend Clayton Morris.. 

In all seriousness I've got really mixed feelings about high priced real estate training. The longer I am in the business and the more investors / would be investors who reach out to me the more I am coming around to it.

On one hand I don't think $40,000 worth of value is received by the students. In fact, pretty much everything taught is available for free all over the internet. The rub is people are lazy. People want immediate gratification and they aren't willing to do the research on their own and they want it all wrapped up in a bow for them. Does that make it wrong for the guru to sell a product that the market demands? No probably not. However, I feel a lot of them misrepresent how easy, or not so easy the business really is though.

In all seriousness I've got really mixed feelings about high priced real estate training. The longer I am in the business and the more investors / would be investors who reach out to me the more I am coming around to it.

On one hand I don't think $40,000 worth of value is received by the students. In fact, pretty much everything taught is available for free all over the internet. The rub is people are lazy. People want immediate gratification and they aren't willing to do the research on their own and they want it all wrapped up in a bow for them. Does that make it wrong for the guru to sell a product that the market demands? No probably not. However, I feel a lot of them misrepresent how easy, or not so easy the business really is though.

Another thought I've been thinking about for awhile is college education. Is 40 large on a Real Estate guru class any more or less valuable then a $100,000 Liberal Arts Degree? I mean how many folks are coming out of college $100,000 in debt with nothing to show for it other than a job serving up coffee at the local Starbucks? 

Thoughts?

You mean your newest bestest friend Clayton Morris.. 

lol I thought Clayton was your bestie? He did mention you by name before he went ahead sued me for $7.2 Million.

From what I see on BP its totally anti paid training.. with a little bit of " I am OK with it if its super cheap like 1k or something " and that you should just go buy a rental instead.. well most of guru training is NOT how to buy a rental its about how to flip houses.. so most of the folks that say that don't really know what they are teaching anyway..  And of course they have never been to the full blown events.. 

I have known Nick Vertucci for almost 2 decades now.. he started in Detroit as a marketing agent in LA just like Kathy Fehtke Sat. morning radio show and then get leads and pitch out of state deals. in the early 2000s is when the OOS turn key really came to be.. He then partnered up with Armando and of course drug me along as a funding mechanism for their students who did decide to buy rentals or wanted to BRRRR.. Before anyone on BP even heard of BRRR we were already doing hundreds of them a year in the early 2000's its how turnkey worked in those days.

Then Armando through his TV fame became one of the first how to gurus and set up the 4 and 5 day 50k bus tours.. So having been to many of those as a back room vendor offering financing for the students to BRRR or buy a rental.. I got to talk to a lot of them.. and of course you talk to some that were dreamers.. you talk to others that just sold their business for 5 million and wanted to learn quick how to get into real estate etc.. and everything in between.. And you would be quite surprised to know how many real estate brokers would take the class's..

Armando's deal was a lot of show along with how to.. he would have experts from each phase of rehab have stage time.. what to do how to do it etc.. I mean it was all laid out there.. they even encourage working with wholesalers to find the deals. 

Now When Armando and Nick broke up Nick started his own training plat form.. Armando basically retired and was dealing with the litigation you mentioned.. Nick used the same systems and really blew it up.. but it has a shelf life.. I talked to him around Christmas and he was winding down and moving in another direction.. But I can say you don't hear a lot of bad about Nick.. because one he had a pretty liberal refund policy ( most don't) and his class's were very detailed.. he would have two huge rooms one for the presentations and the other he had a deconstructed house.. so the students would go through each phase of rehab with their teacher / mentor who was a plumber or electrician and or roofer.. so after those 5 days as long as they stayed awake and took notes they would know how to rehab a house and how to deal with contractors.. and you know those trying to learn how to do that on your own or just listing to folks on BP can have some major struggles. 

So end of the day even though it was 30 to 40k to go through the system they did get an education on how to rehab houses and flip them. Nick sold no turnkeys in his new version like all the other gurus do .. I wanted him to have a module about buying notes and lending money but we never got there.. I would have taught that one. 

And today like we See there are many going into the MF how to.. and I suspect there is good value in those.. or how to be a syndicator …

etc etc. 

Paid training will always have its place.. what the guys that do this need to clean up though and what I never liked was the pressure and getting folks who cant afford it to put it on the CC.. the ones that succeeded no problem the one's that were never ever or will ever be cut out to be home flippers just end up in debt.. but who are we to dictate their dreams..  Hewlett Packard started in a Garage in Palo Alto with 15k of debt borrowed.. 

From what I see on BP its totally anti paid training.. with a little bit of " I am OK with it if its super cheap like 1k or something " and that you should just go buy a rental instead.. well most of guru training is NOT how to buy a rental its about how to flip houses.. so most of the folks that say that don't really know what they are teaching anyway..  And of course they have never been to the full blown events.. 

I have known Nick Vertucci for almost 2 decades now.. he started in Detroit as a marketing agent in LA just like Kathy Fehtke Sat. morning radio show and then get leads and pitch out of state deals. in the early 2000s is when the OOS turn key really came to be.. He then partnered up with Armando and of course drug me along as a funding mechanism for their students who did decide to buy rentals or wanted to BRRRR.. Before anyone on BP even heard of BRRR we were already doing hundreds of them a year in the early 2000's its how turnkey worked in those days.

Then Armando through his TV fame became one of the first how to gurus and set up the 4 and 5 day 50k bus tours.. So having been to many of those as a back room vendor offering financing for the students to BRRR or buy a rental.. I got to talk to a lot of them.. and of course you talk to some that were dreamers.. you talk to others that just sold their business for 5 million and wanted to learn quick how to get into real estate etc.. and everything in between.. And you would be quite surprised to know how many real estate brokers would take the class's..

Armando's deal was a lot of show along with how to.. he would have experts from each phase of rehab have stage time.. what to do how to do it etc.. I mean it was all laid out there.. they even encourage working with wholesalers to find the deals. 

Now When Armando and Nick broke up Nick started his own training plat form.. Armando basically retired and was dealing with the litigation you mentioned.. Nick used the same systems and really blew it up.. but it has a shelf life.. I talked to him around Christmas and he was winding down and moving in another direction.. But I can say you don't hear a lot of bad about Nick.. because one he had a pretty liberal refund policy ( most don't) and his class's were very detailed.. he would have two huge rooms one for the presentations and the other he had a deconstructed house.. so the students would go through each phase of rehab with their teacher / mentor who was a plumber or electrician and or roofer.. so after those 5 days as long as they stayed awake and took notes they would know how to rehab a house and how to deal with contractors.. and you know those trying to learn how to do that on your own or just listing to folks on BP can have some major struggles. 

So end of the day even though it was 30 to 40k to go through the system they did get an education on how to rehab houses and flip them. Nick sold no turnkeys in his new version like all the other gurus do .. I wanted him to have a module about buying notes and lending money but we never got there.. I would have taught that one. 

And today like we See there are many going into the MF how to.. and I suspect there is good value in those.. or how to be a syndicator …

etc etc. 

Paid training will always have its place.. what the guys that do this need to clean up though and what I never liked was the pressure and getting folks who cant afford it to put it on the CC.. the ones that succeeded no problem the one's that were never ever or will ever be cut out to be home flippers just end up in debt.. but who are we to dictate their dreams..  Hewlett Packard started in a Garage in Palo Alto with 15k of debt borrowed.. 

Yea lots of great points in there. To your point on HP I put a duplex I couldn't afford on a Discover card back when I was getting started. This move completely changed my life and net worth. So throwing a house on a credit card can and does change your life for the better but it's just like one of those weight loss products, results not typical lol. 

Kudos to you @James Wise !

I think it is always better to have control especially if you have already grown organically from 0. 

I think Chip and Joanna Gaines had issues with the show and now trying to do it themselves. 

Congrats on hitting the 1M mark...!

Originally posted by @Ola Dantis :

Kudos to you @James Wise!

I think it is always better to have control especially if you have already grown organically from 0. 

I think Chip and Joanna Gaines had issues with the show and now trying to do it themselves. 

Thanks man, much appreciated. What's going on with Chip and Joanna? HGTV have a fall out with them?

Originally posted by @Ola Dantis:

Kudos to you @James Wise!

Thanks man, much appreciated. What's going on with Chip and Joanna? HGTV have a fall out with them?

I think they are going into a JV with Discovery via their own production company. Basically, I think they are also looking to have more control over the production process and their content essentially.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you