Looking to buy my first property in DMV area

1 Reply

I'm currently residing in the heart of Washington D.C. and am looking to buy my first income-producing investment property within the next 6 months. I was wondering what some good markets in Virginia and Maryland are that have some less expensive properties that are more accessible to a beginner investor (in terms of capital and experience). I work right now as a property manager and also have my salesperson license in VA, MD, and DC. I've read many books and listened to many podcasts on real estate investing and am now ready to become a player.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice and would be more than happy to grab a coffee with anyone willing to offer their experiences!

Well... if you're strictly looking for "less expensive" (lower point of entry?) in the DMV area, I might recommend Baltimore. I'd probably look on the med-to-higher end of properties there, as you don't want to deal with the hassle of the lower tiers from far away. Hagerstown, MD, might be another option (full disclosure: I own in both areas).

THAT SAID, if I were in your shoes... I would just take a big bite on a house in the DMV and rent out rooms to other young professionals. 

Will you make money on rental income? Hell no, you'll probably just subsidize your living expenses. I'd bet, though, that your ten-year IRR is much, much higher owning a place in a desirable district in DC and renting out rooms than it would be just buying a blue-collar workhorse of a property strictly to crank out rental income.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you