From crack den to shabby chic, images of our latest rehab

6 Replies

Very nice. I can't say I'm crazy about what is going on behind the kithcen sink, but I dont hate it, either. I like your color selections. It looks like you cleaned the wood floor but did not sand and refinished it. Is that correct? It looks good. I like that you kept the little cast iron vent details. Probably a no-brainer to keep them since they are free to leave in place and look totally awesome. Kinda wierd where the bathroom is, but old houses are kinda wierd sometimes. I like it!

What were the numbers on this one?

Thanks Guys,

Brian Hoyt I'm not crazy about the backsplash / counter top either. We were making use of some left over materials. I don't hate it or anything. It is definitely an improvement over the vinyl flooring they were using ;-) The wood floors were previously painted, we sanded them with a drum sander and filled the really bad cracks. I'm training a new hire, and it was his first drum sander experience. He'll get better with practice. He took 2 passes of each grit 80 - 120 - 180 I believe but would have to double check. I find that if you out do yourself on the floors you're going to regret it after a tenant mucks them up anyway, so I'm OK with how this came out. We did 2 coats of stain and 3 coats of polly. It could use more polly, but it wont get it until turn over. All in all I'm happy, but the tenant will likely pick up some throw rugs, and done deal. IME making everything like I would want it does not get more rent anyway, so unfortunately sometimes it is what it is. I only had to show it once and it is leased.

@Jeremy Vohwinkle I'm having trouble locating them...

@Brandon Turner Thanks Brandon!

@Jon Klaus
Numbers numbers numbers :D What numbers? The ones piled up on my desk? ;-)

The building is a 4 unit. This is the last to be renovated. I kept it occupied at a low rate while I rehabbed the other 3. Now it is done, and slightly below market rate.

I paid 115K for the 4 plex. This unit, back of the envelope was 10-12K in material & labor (not including mine), which included sealing the field stone foundation in the basement. We blew through 2500 lbs of fiberglass mortar for that project but I digress. So 115 + closing / 4 = 30K + 15K (yep, adding myself) = 45K invested. Renting for $750. Not my best, but not my worst. I will push this rate up again at turn around. Current Market was $800-825 and I came in a little low. Great tenant, so no regrets. She will naturally stage it very nicely and I'll grab some more photo's to share!

Thanks Jon!
Mark

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here