Started investing at 19, almost foreclosed 2 properties, went to Afghanistan to save them. Finally refinanced and cash positive!

8 Replies

My subject pretty much describes my story. I describe it much more in depth in another thread I started in "starting up." I went from the underdog who was doing everything right at 19, quickly aquired more, bit off a project that was more than I could chew, almost lost everything, and now @ 24 years old ive managed to recover it all and refinance everything to a point where I'm finally earning a return while someone else pays my notes!!! No where to go but up from here! This thread has my hike story.

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/12/topics/85304-the-underdogs-story---i-began-investing-in-08

I am sure there are many that will agree that there is a lot more to serving your country than saving your home or homes.

Not gonna change the topic or create a debate, so, awesome job getting back on top man.

I think there is a lot to be said about you as a person for sticking it out.

Bill

@Bill Bob No, I don't agree and I'm sure I'm not the only one because then the military wouldn't have had to struggle to make enlistment quotas during the early war years. Now they have no problem since the economy is in the crapper and the troop pulling out has started. So many people are joining to save their homes. I was an Army active duty and a reserves soldier.

In case I am the one being unclear, I believe most all service members will agree that money is not a soul motivator. I didn't join for the money (there is better wages elsewhere) and most of my troops didn't either. We all joined to be part of something bigger than ourselves and to help the weak and helpless.

My statement was more in reply to one saying they would not go to A-stan to save their homes but rather stay at home to save their life.

@ Abram.
Sorry brother for pulling this away from your original post.
To be very clear, rather the BP pockets community thinks it was the right thing or not, good job on doing your damnedest to turn a bad thing into a good. I think a lot of young folks can learn from your mistakes, and even more from your determination.

Thank you all for the good wishes. By the time I was 22 years old I'd been deployed for 4 years already. So I figured WHY NOT?!

I appreciate all of your appreciation and from the sound of it we've got some vets among us. I'll look forward to connecting with some of you in the future!

I think a lot of people are confused and don't realize you went back as a contractor, nor do they know the differences between being a contractor who Never Gets Out Of The Boat :) , a contractor who does, a military member Fobbit, a military member who sometimes leaves the base / camp / outpost, and the PBI (and others) who are outside all the time. Depending on the situation, working in Iraq or Afghanistan could be relatively safe. Even in hot areas, the math is on your side, though that doesn't mean it can't be stressful.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here