The Measure of Our Worth

Tom Goans
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Englewood, CO
Posted Jul 8 2013, 14:43

The Measure of Our Worth

The measure of our worth is not what we have done for ourselves;
but what we have done for others.

There is more to life than personal accumulation, building wealth, and cash flow.

Less debt enables you to help others. This is an account from my personal history.

A couple with 4 children were buying a home from me. The only household income was his derived from driving a truck. Every winter he would be laid off December and January.

During the months he did not work, I did not require them to make house payments. They were able to enjoy the Holiday Season without the stress of making house payments. Instead, the family had a better holiday.

I was able to provide the family this assistance because I owned the property free and clear and my holding costs were less than $200 monthly.

I was not someone to whom they paid money. I was the ONLY person who gave them the opportunity to own their home. Years later, the family owns the home free and clear.

I have the good fortune to have other similar success stories. My goal is not to be a burden to one’s life, but a problem solver. Should a payer become delinquent, my first response is to ask if I can help.

People are not deadbeats, stuff happens. It is all about the way you treat them. Give them a chance and they will become the best payer you have.

I am not suggesting this is the correct way to respond to borrower/tenant challenges. This is the way I respond. You will decide how you wish to respond to your borrower/tenant challenges. Each is unique.

Comments and viewpoints are always welcomed. We all learn from others.

Loading replies...