• Real Estate Agent
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
It All Started Here... 4.5 Years Ago.

Kenneth McKeown
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Dallas, TX
Posted May 23 2021, 17:24

Just about five years ago I was finishing up graduate school at Texas A&M and had just accepted a job to teach high school and wrestling in San Antonio. At this point in time I was in a long term relationship and it was the job that would be better for my relationship over the job I wanted to take in Dallas. However - my life would take a complete 180 degree turn just a few days later. I was someone who didn't like to "half ***" things (including my relationship) so I made my last and final decision "for a girl" by taking the job. Well - the day she was set to fly out... she called me & told me she wasn't. We broke up and I was devastated. My life felt pointless at this point with all the time and effort put into that relationship... I had to find something to fill that void. What was that? It was real estate. 

I actually reached out to a high school friend (who's been on multiple BP podcasts - not sure if at that time, but has since been) and he mentioned this website. He mentioned Rich Dad Poor Dad. That's when my life began to completely change - but I had no idea it would change into what it has become. I became obsessed with BP podcasts, books, networking (met @Tim Macy off here), and learning as much as I could. I thought it would be ideal to get my real estate license to help with the potential purchase of one or two properties in the next 5 to ten years or so (plus maybe some odd ends purchases - I truly had no idea). I would like to think I became an expert in the field of investing in real estate and even tried 4-5x to get a duplex in San Antonio but it wasn't meant to be.

The summer of 2017 I decided to move up to Dallas (where I wanted to be from day 1) with no network, no friends, no family and a new teaching/coaching job. I officially became a real estate agent the first week I moved up and started to network where I met my now best friend @Tyler Hodgson off BP. Within a month I was under contract on a duplex and moving in shortly after using my VA loan. Six months later I had moved to an outdated single family where I rented out the rooms for two years while renovating the entire house. At this point I had began to realize that my rentals could cover my expenses and I could likely leave my teaching job at the years end to pursue real estate as a full time job... so I did just that. February of 2018 I gave my notice that I would only be teaching one year and would not be coming back.

This honestly was where the fun began. I spent $11,000 on an annual coaching membership as a real estate agent (granted, my take home paycheck for teaching was $3,700 so this was a HUGE cost to me at the time). Having been in the Marines and a former teacher now - I had worked two different jobs where I was told to work hard but I was never appreciated or really financially compensated appropriately. Real estate was the first instance where I worked hard and I was finally shown (or compensated) appropriately for the amount of time & effort given. I knew by quitting teaching (W2 job - for those out there... keep them as long as you can!) that I wouldn't be able to purchase another property for awhile but in September of 2019 I had two profitable years of tax returns from real estate and purchased a 4-plex. This was the second time using my VA loan and I was now getting over $8,000 a month in rent.

I spent (and continue to do so on a daily basis) every day from 2019 to 2021 waking up between 4-5am and hitting the gym. I go in a routine and ritual to grow my real estate business as much as I could. Because of the goals I have - unfortunately I've lost a bit of friends... but those are the friends that would have otherwise held me down from what I've been wanting to achieve. But all the time and effort I've put in now has me so proud of how far I've come.  

Well - fast forward to May of 2021 and I've been able to help over 200 people buy, sell or invest in the Dallas & Fort Worth area. I've acquired a duplex, single family, quad and even built my dream home (with a custom AirBnB suite) thanks in part to the rental income I have. I'm also in the midst of another full gut-job remodel SFH rental. Once that's completed I'll be north of $14,000/mo in rental income - when just 4 years ago I was a high school teacher and it took me almost four months to make that... as my FULL TIME JOB. I've created a YouTube channel for those that are looking for more information about real estate investing (as well as just documenting my journey) and have began to really help a ton of Veterans across the country utilize their VA loan successfully to purchase properties and turn them into rentals.

BiggerPockets has been an incredible place that has absolutely changed my life. I was heartbroken and lost and everything honestly fell into place right when it should. I've met so many great people off this website and I'm so thankful for all the information I've been able to gather. If I have any advice for anyone looking to get started - don't be scared. Real estate is truly powerful and it's an incredible and fun journey. Most will want to... very few will. Don't act blindly... but also don't be scared of the journey. The journey is where all the fun is.

Just going to tag some great people I've since met... 

@Denver McClure @Brandon Andreola @Chance Benjamin @Corbin E. @Corin Prendiville @Edwin Borrero @Jason Chen @Paul Burns @Michael Nguyen and many many more. 

Loading replies...