Votes
Michael K Gallagher
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus OH
Replied Jun 7 2022, 04:39

Hey @Efrem Debesay I work with an investment group out of Delaware OH, who are doing some major rehabs and they swear up and down by metal roofs.  Its the first they they do, slap a metal roof on the project.  I don't know the intricacies of how they are installed or if one is cheaper but I can say with 100% certainty they are going to be better in the snow/winter and extreme weather.  I assume metal roofs in general are more expensive so thats why builders, flippers, roofing companies push them because they are better for their margins, but if you are planning on holding the asset for the long haul I have to think metal is going to last way way longer.  and apart from that in my opinion they just look better!

User Stats

Votes
Efrem Debesay
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jun 10 2022, 10:30

Hello Michael, Thank you so much for your great info.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Allen
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jun 10 2022, 12:18

@Efrem Debesay  Metal roofs do not seem to be as common in the city but, they do last longer and are less likely to have any leaks with one. The only disadvantage I can think of is that they can be a bit noisy when it is raining really hard but at least you won't have a waterfall in the house. I'd compare prices of metal vs shingle to see which one actually cost more before picking which one to use.

Reafco - Columbus, OH  Logo

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Drury
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Replied Jun 10 2022, 13:58

@Efrem Debesay 
It might depend on the kind of rental you have. For example, it might not make sense to ball out and put a new metal roof on a Hilltop duplex when you could just put an asphalt roof on and it will do the same job for cheaper, even if you are holding for a long time. The life expectancy of a metal roof is admittedly longer than asphalt, but I think this all goes back to the debate of leaving the CAPEX as is and replacing items when broken, or do you like to prepare and rip out everything old and replace it all to make it last for a long time from the start. Just depends on how you view it in my opinion.

Reafco- Logo

User Stats

Votes
Efrem Debesay
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jun 12 2022, 21:36

User Stats

Votes
Efrem Debesay
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jun 12 2022, 21:39
Quote from @Scott Allen:

@Efrem Debesay  Metal roofs do not seem to be as common in the city but, they do last longer and are less likely to have any leaks with one. The only disadvantage I can think of is that they can be a bit noisy when it is raining really hard but at least you won't have a waterfall in the house. I'd compare prices of metal vs shingle to see which one actually cost more before picking which one to use.

Thank you so much for your great tips!!

User Stats

Votes
Efrem Debesay
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jun 12 2022, 21:46
Quote from @Patrick Drury:

@Efrem Debesay 
It might depend on the kind of rental you have. For example, it might not make sense to ball out and put a new metal roof on a Hilltop duplex when you could just put an asphalt roof on and it will do the same job for cheaper, even if you are holding for a long time. The life expectancy of a metal roof is admittedly longer than asphalt, but I think this all goes back to the debate of leaving the CAPEX as is and replacing items when broken, or do you like to prepare and rip out everything old and replace it all to make it last for a long time from the start. Just depends on how you view it in my opinion.

Thank you  so much Patrick and I like your point of view "like how you could do it and how you should see it"

User Stats

Votes
Jerry V.
  • Contractor
  • Richardson, TX
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Richardson, TX
Replied Jun 16 2022, 13:22
Quote from @Scott Allen:

Perhaps a bit noisy but, not if you have insulation under them (when installed). :)  Keep in mind, that YES they are more expensive AND, they may actually get small "dimples" in them from hail... it will show (in many not all) forms of metal roofs but that is NOT covered by insurance (cosmetic damage).  Many nuances to all this but ... consult with a local roofer that you TRUST for the details.

User Stats

Votes
Jerry V.
  • Contractor
  • Richardson, TX
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Richardson, TX
Replied Jun 16 2022, 13:32

Efrem, there are many sites and comparison charts online to do this:  Metal vs Shingle roof?  :)   Either way, "workmanship" counts for a lot!  Especially in metal or specialized materials.  Where the materials are great, but the workmanship in putting it all together then becomes more important (because the materials are already a non-worry element).  But yes, OF COURSE the labor should always be a big consideration! lol

If I/we can help with any Roofing issues or questions in the future, just let me know!

User Stats

Votes
Efrem Debesay
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Dec 21 2022, 20:07
Quote from @Jerry V.:

Efrem, there are many sites and comparison charts online to do this:  Metal vs Shingle roof?  :)   Either way, "workmanship" counts for a lot!  Especially in metal or specialized materials.  Where the materials are great, but the workmanship in putting it all together then becomes more important (because the materials are already a non-worry element).  But yes, OF COURSE the labor should always be a big consideration! lol

If I/we can help with any Roofing issues or questions in the future, just let me know!

Thank you so much Jerry !!

User Stats

Votes
Henry Clark
Pro Member
#2 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Developer
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Developer
Replied Dec 22 2022, 05:41

Can you describe the property?  How do you plan to use?  Etc etc 

User Stats

Votes
Jack Mawer
  • Lender
Votes |
  • Lender
Replied Dec 27 2022, 15:20

I would agree that in snowy climates a metal roof will be your best bet! 

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Dec 27 2022, 20:40

Metal roofs last 20 more years than shingles. 

User Stats

Votes
John Teachout
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Concord, GA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Concord, GA
Replied Dec 29 2022, 14:55
I'm a fan of metal roofs. It's a once in a lifetime installation. ie, by the time a metal roof needs replacing, you won't be on earth to worry about it. They are definitely more costly but it's common in my area (Georgia) for them to install purlins over the existing shingle roof and install the metal on that. This eliminates the need for a tear off and the expensive labor and disposal fees for that. Metal roofs are very light compared to shingles so if there's only one layer, weight isn't an issue. (some municipalities may not allow it so that would be a consideration. I have a metal roof on every structure on our estate (lol) That includes our home, separate garage, well house, large workshop, etc. I've never paid to have a metal roof installed so don't know labor charges (I've always done my own)

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 30 2023, 07:29
Quote from @John Teachout:
I'm a fan of metal roofs. It's a once in a lifetime installation. ie, by the time a metal roof needs replacing, you won't be on earth to worry about it. They are definitely more costly but it's common in my area (Georgia) for them to install purlins over the existing shingle roof and install the metal on that. This eliminates the need for a tear off and the expensive labor and disposal fees for that. Metal roofs are very light compared to shingles so if there's only one layer, weight isn't an issue. (some municipalities may not allow it so that would be a consideration. I have a metal roof on every structure on our estate (lol) That includes our home, separate garage, well house, large workshop, etc. I've never paid to have a metal roof installed so don't know labor charges (I've always done my own)

You're right about the longevity – metal roofs can last a very long time, making them a cost-effective option in the long run. Installing over existing shingles is a smart way to save on labor and disposal costs, plus the lightweight nature of metal roofs makes this feasible. Just always good to check local building codes to ensure this method is allowed.