Contractors

User Stats

Votes
Brett Davidson
Votes |
LVL installation help

Brett Davidson
Posted Jun 20 2022, 14:30

Seeking help from an experienced GC, engineer, or architect to install an LVL beam on this 1963 flip house in Grapevine. Length from wall to wall is 17’3”. I’d like it to be flush with the joists so the ceiling is flat. I can source the beam(s) once dimensions are confirmed. Would love to move on this ASAP. Please see picks from ground floor and attic. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Brett Davidson
Votes |
Replied Jun 20 2022, 14:32
Account Closed
  • Contractor
  • Columbus ohio
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Columbus ohio
Replied Jun 20 2022, 14:32

Depending on what a structural engineer calls for, keeping beams at or below size of floor joists could b a problem

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Jared W Smith
  • Architect
  • Westchester County, NY
Votes |
  • Architect
  • Westchester County, NY
Replied Jul 2 2022, 17:47
Quote from @Account Closed:

Depending on what a structural engineer calls for, keeping beams at or below size of floor joists could b a problem

Not really Kevin. Typically LVL come in heights as little as 2x8. And to take the load you can go as large as a quad LVL if the load is large. However in this application especially if it's only an attic and roof load, it will probably only be a double LVL.. MAYBE a triple but I doubt it. 

@Brett Davidson - You will need to get a local Architect or Engineer to size the LVL based on the live + dead loads and tributary area. Building Code and snow loads come into play also. (If you were in lower NY, I could help you.) Then there's a attachment pattern to combining LVLs for applications like yours. So they would provide this also.  

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Jul 2 2022, 18:33

We used to install flush beams all the time. It's a PITA and expensive but if it's desired, it's possible.

You cut the existing joists (after providing support of course) and install the new beam on new posts. Then use hangers to support the old joists off of the new beam.

User Stats

Votes
John Teachout
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Concord, GA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Concord, GA
Replied Jul 2 2022, 18:56
How important is it for the beam to be flush? I think the cost and ease of installation would be cause for serious consideration of having it below the ceiling.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Jul 2 2022, 19:23
Quote from @John Teachout:
How important is it for the beam to be flush? I think the cost and ease of installation would be cause for serious consideration of having it below the ceiling.

It's way easier and cheaper, but when I was doing high-end remodels, every job had to have the beams flushed out. It's probably an extra couple grand so ya just gotta decide if it's worth it. It is a much better look for sure.....